Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a passive key, so why can't I have a plain key?
I just think the key is too big. In my pocket and in the car.
I know there's a chip of some kind in it but, I can't see any reason why there should only be a remote key.
I like the remote and use it but I would use a plain key as well if I could get it.
Is there more in the remote i need that I don't know about?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should be able to get a bypass module, the kind they use when adding an aftermarket remote starter, then any standard key would work. Keep in mind it will also be a lot easier for any thief to take it as well...

14 JKURX

·
Registered
98 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the vehicle can detect if you leave the key inside and it won't lock you out. I used plain keys on my Cherokee for almost a decade and kept a spare door key (mine had separate door and ignition keys for whatever reason) attached to the transmission crossmember. Plain keys do fit in your pocket, but I find the bulk and cost of the new key makes it harder to lose. Add a very loud keychain and it's almost impossible.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I though I was the only one who disliked the big remote/key/ switchblade. I hate having bulky things in my pocket and must accidentally open the key a dozen times a day. I wish we could go back to a simple flat key

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
These are these 'laser-cut' keys that only dealers can do. I am going to ask my dealer but I think they can get a chipped key with the little bit of rubber around the head for like a valet key for about $35. Maybe.

I did this a few years ago for my KIA and use the fob as when I lock myself out at work. :)

I'll ask tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a lot of vehicles. This key with the flip thing is annoying since this is my wife's primary vehicle rather than mine. I need to be able to open it and to drive it, but since the driver's door has a key cylinder I do not need buttons just to operate it.

I started looking at Fiat keys. I think that the Renegade uses what's known as an SIP22 keyway. I am not entirely sure of this though.

Fiat has had several vehicles with relatively simple keys, in that the key has a transponder but does not articulate, and if it has any buttons it'd only be one:

Fiat has information about the CODE system here:

http://www.fiatia.com/fman-760.html

Someone has put a video of programming a Fiat key for a 2012 Fiat 500 here:

https://youtu.be/uy2T_jjCZq0

Note how similar the key looks to our Renegade keys. I would not be surprised if the Renegade uses the same CODE system.

So, what I'm thinking, is that if one orders one of these Fiat Doblo keys from close to the same year, it might be able to be programmed in the same fashion with a suitable technician's tool. If the tool is right and all keys not-present at programming-time are erased, then it is essential to have all of the keys when having someone with one of these tools to this. It is also essential to have that card with the key information.

Now, I have not yet found if this procedure causes problems for the features of the fobs or not.

Basically what I would do is to get a couple of plain keys, either FCA-made ones or else aftermarket, get them grooved, and then program them for the vehicle. My wife would probably continue to carry the normal fob key, I'd carry a plain key so I could open or move the vehicle as needed. If we were going on a trip she might also use the plain key so that the fancy one doesn't get damaged by water.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Here's a simple key for the Ram Promaster: http://www.mopar.com/part/68224013AA?s=369937&i=5881099&b=ram

I wonder if it's compatible? It's not exactly cheap at close to $50, but that's a sight cheaper than $300. It's listed as a Valet Key. A weird thing for a cargo van, don't you think?
Not everyone who has a van is using it for business stuff. Over here in the UK, a lot of vans are bought as personal use vehicles and not for business purposes.

Or the Ram Promaster may share the same type of ignition barrel or door lock with another vehicle from the same marque?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ram Promaster is a rebadged Fiat Ducato. Don't remember if they're doing final-assembly in Europe and delivering them whole, if they're sending knock-down kits to North America and doing final assembly here, or if they're building 'em from-scratch with the existing design in North America, but it's the Fiat van with superficial styling tweaks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey John - we are looking for source for a "valet key" without the fob, just the key itself. Dealer quote is $239. Our local hardware store was unable to duplicate.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Cecelia

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
The Fiat 500L originally came with 1 remote fob and 1 key with a transponder.

Fiat dealer is your best bet.

You'll still have to get the key cut & coded to the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.