Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing my homework on this and so far I'm trying to decide which Renegade to get? What I'd like at minimum are Cruise, XM, USB, Bluetooth, AC, Auto is fine, Backup Camera and an auto dimming mirror would be nice. I'll drive it to work and back, go on road trips I won't be going off road at all. I live in the south so.. no snow to worry about just a lot of heat. I've not test driven one yet but will test drive a few models in a few days time just to be sure i like the thing... I think I already like the thing ha.

What do you prefer.. Sport or Latitude? Is the upper model worth the extra money? The trailhawlk would be wasted on me as I'll never have a need for all it's features.

I've seen a "Sport" model listed with a few options, Air, Sound, Backup Camera etc more or less what I want at minimum. Priced at $18,500. It's a dealer kind of out in the woods but I'll drive a few hours for a deal. Only if I have that deal in writing beforehand! I was caught once years ago with a dealer being an ass whom i left high and dry. Yes I prefer manual and that is an extra bonus on the below.

http://www.jeep.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=ZACCJAAW4GPC41311

Thoughts.. this is assuming I actually like how the thing drives in the flesh.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
When I was looking more than a year ago, I thought the Lattitude was more bang for the buck. The Lattitude offers some things that you can't get on the Sport such as the dark tinted rear glass which you would want in a hot climate. By the time you option the Sport with things like air conditioning, etc., you will likely be close in price to the Lattitude. And the FWD version is likely all you'll need unless you plan to go off-road.

·
Registered
44 Posts
george80,

That looks like a good deal. I went with the 2016 Latitude because I wanted the manual transmission with the beats audio 9 speaker sound system, the cold weather package, and the 4 Wheel Drive. So far almost 2000 miles and loving it. I have seen some really cool looking Sport models as well. You will definitely get better gas mileage with the FWD.

Good luck.

Blazer514

·
Registered
112 Posts
As stated previously, by the time you add a few options to the sport model you are approaching the price of a base Latitude. The base Latitude has more features than a Sport with a bunch of options, so you may want to consider searching for a base Latitude to get everything you want and more. I was going through the same exercise a few months ago when I purchased my Renegade, and I found that the base model Latitude was a great deal with all of the "standard" features in the Latitude package as compared to starting with a Sport and adding what I considered "must haves" on my Renegade. All of the dealers in my area are advertising Sports at a discount, but I was able to get the same discount on my Latitude after some serious negotiating. I absolutely LOVE my 6-speed 1.4 turbo Renegade! It is a real blast to drive, and that little motor will really surprise you with it's power!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Latitude, Limited, or Trailhawk.

Here are the reasons:
Latitude: More features for just a few bucks more which you won't really see in the payment. Also better trade-in or resale value if you ever want to change. Get 4X4

Limited: If you want to be spoiled when you drive...? Great option. You have bells and whistles that you might not think you want now, but when you see someone that has that feature you might always feel like you jipped yourself.

Trailhawk: I realize right now you feel like it is a waste, but one of the main reasons you buy a Jeep is for the potential off-road capabilities. Again, you might not need that today, but you never know. Plus, someone else might desire it if you ever want to trade vehicles. Also, the extra clearance you get also helps in case you have to get close to, or over a curb... ect.

I will give you my experience. I originally thought Latitude, cause I'm cheap. Then I watched all the cool videos of the Renegade and they were all THawks. When I went to the dealer I saw the Lat vs the Lmt and I figured I was buying a new car anyway... so might as well get a few extras. When I saw Hanzo (my Trailhawk), I knew that it had the best of both worlds plus the capabilities that the other 2 didn't. However I didn't pay for the extra slush mats (which I bought on Amazon the very next week for cheaper, but still bought them), or I didn't get MySky which in a way, I probably would never use, but in my head I know I didn't buy it...

·
Registered
58 Posts
My choice was a 2016 Latitude, 2.4L, 9-speed auto, front-wheel drive, having some extras (but not all). It fit my needs. My driving situation doesn't need 4WD anymore, and I've many years' experience driving FWD in crummy conditions. Off-road to me these days is a dirt road/driveway in farm country or an unpaved county road, so decent ground clearance is still a requirement, but trail-blazing is not. My boat-towing days are behind me, so limited towing capacity is no negative. Occasionally, hauling something on the roof happens, so rails and tie-downs are a plus.

Now, changes to any of the above would have also changed my choice. The good news is that the Renegade fit my needs, and the Latitude did best of all.

Reactions: JMunoz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As stated previously, by the time you add a few options to the sport model you are approaching the price of a base Latitude. The base Latitude has more features than a Sport with a bunch of options, so you may want to consider searching for a base Latitude to get everything you want and more. I was going through the same exercise a few months ago when I purchased my Renegade, and I found that the base model Latitude was a great deal with all of the "standard" features in the Latitude package as compared to starting with a Sport and adding what I considered "must haves" on my Renegade. All of the dealers in my area are advertising Sports at a discount, but I was able to get the same discount on my Latitude after some serious negotiating. I absolutely LOVE my 6-speed 1.4 turbo Renegade! It is a real blast to drive, and that little motor will really surprise you with it's power!
I did compare the Latitude to the Sport and yes I agree 100% I'd normally just get the mid range vehicle however... When I found (check the link in my original post). That deal for the Sport is the best I've found in this area and I'm quite sure I'll be out the door inc tax, title, tag etc for under $20k and in a preferred manual! The vehicle I found has options listed:

• SiruisXM
  • UConnect with Backup Camera
  • Power and Air
  • Full Sized Spare

That's just what I need, roof rails would be nice but can be added later. There's a shop nearby that does professional tinting. The dealer has priced it "on sale" at $18,499. However I'm still waiting for the dealer to confirm their out the door price. The only downside is the dealer is out in the woods and it's quite a drive out there if I do buy. I'm pre-approved by Chrysler to buy anything I want and the dealer has that pre-approval. So hopefully they'll see I'm a serious potential buyer and not waste time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Car dealers are annoying, one word to describe them.. to work with. I contacted a few to get a feel for the market for these vehicles and get an idea of pricing. So far 8 out of 10 dealers that I've contacted and requested they contact me by email promptly called my cell. One dealer won't give a final out the door price and another gave me a "selling price" that's almost $2,000 over sticker! He wanted $24,000 for a Sport with Power and Air?! Another dealer is only interested in what I've got to trade in ha! No mention of what they are offering other than the usual.. stop by lets take a look?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm doing my homework on this and so far I'm trying to decide which Renegade to get? What I'd like at minimum are Cruise, XM, USB, Bluetooth, AC, Auto is fine, Backup Camera and an auto dimming mirror would be nice. I'll drive it to work and back, go on road trips I won't be going off road at all. I live in the south so.. no snow to worry about just a lot of heat. I've not test driven one yet but will test drive a few models in a few days time just to be sure i like the thing... I think I already like the thing ha.

What do you prefer.. Sport or Latitude? Is the upper model worth the extra money? The trailhawlk would be wasted on me as I'll never have a need for all it's features.

I've seen a "Sport" model listed with a few options, Air, Sound, Backup Camera etc more or less what I want at minimum. Priced at $18,500. It's a dealer kind of out in the woods but I'll drive a few hours for a deal. Only if I have that deal in writing beforehand! I was caught once years ago with a dealer being an ass whom i left high and dry. Yes I prefer manual and that is an extra bonus on the below.

http://www.jeep.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=ZACCJAAW4GPC41311

Thoughts.. this is assuming I actually like how the thing drives in the flesh.

You'll get more value out of the Latitude.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree you get more value out of the latitude. I went with the trail hawk I like the look better and I do light off roading in the summer. I usually go down logging roads and some of them are pretty bad. I did get the factory towing,cold weather and 9 speaker system. Has been great so far for 800 miles.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think the Latitude 4X4 with 1.4 Turbo and manual transmission is the best choice. I'm biased of course since that's what I bought, but the reasons are:

1. It's very difficult to find a manual transmission on any vehicle with 4WD. There are a few but choices are limited. Often you have to sacrifice fuel economy (I know as I also own a manual FJ Cruiser which averages 16 MPG).
2. The little turbo engine has lots of torque and it's available at lower RPM than the 2.4 Liter.
3. Compared to the Sport model, the Latitude is a good deal if you want even a few of the extras.
4. The stick shift is fun to drive! The clutch is smooth and quick.

·
Registered
214 Posts
hoodoo,

You nailed it on the head. Exactly why I bought my 2016 4x4 Latitude. Loving it so far...

Blazer514
Totally agree with you both! Of course, I'm also biased. But, I'd definitely go with the Latitude over the sport. Yes, the manual is a total blast to drive. If you prefer a manual- go for it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like I need to test drive a manual and the auto just to be 100% sure. I'll be sure to check out the Sport, Latitude and Trailhawk while I'm at the dealership. Who know's I might actually prefer a higher end model.

·
Registered
246 Posts
As others have said, you'll get more for your money with the Latitude over the Sport. By the time you add on all that you want to the Sport, you already have the price of a base model Latitude less a few things. So you might as well start with the Latitude.

Also, you'll get more options available to you with the Automatic trans, unfortunately. Manuals have limited options available to them. I have to have a Manual transmission (hate autos), so I couldn't get all the other options that I would have liked (weren't NEEDED, just would have liked). :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.