Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks.

I noticed when reading in my Renegade that there is a whirring noise when in idle if the Jeep is left running for a certain period of time.

The two times it's happened, the car had been in Idle-running with the AC on for about 20 minutes.

The sound is best described as a loud, constant fan noise. It seems to be coming from the Engine area. All of a sudden after 20 mins or so, the lights in the cabin will flicker briefly and then the loud whirring sound will start. It won't stop until the Jeep is turned off and on again.

Has anyone else experienced this, or know what could be happening? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's the electric cooling fan (was belt driven continuously in older cars). It is controlled by a thermostat and only runs when it's needed; continuously when the a/c is running. Pretty much all it could be. It is a common and harmless noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

It's the electric cooling fan (was belt driven continuously in older cars). It is controlled by a thermostat and only runs when it's needed; continuously when the a/c is running. Pretty much all it could be. It is a common and harmless noise.
Thanks for the quick answer.

Just FYI, the noise doesn't start immediately. The car and AC will be running for a good 20 minutes before the noise actually starts, but once it starts it doesn't stop even if the AC is turned off. I don't know if that info makes a difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.