Jeep Renegade Forum banner

White Alpine Out and About

55K views 53 replies 24 participants last post by  TexasToaster 
#1 · (Edited)
I didn't want to clog up any other threads with random photos of my Renegade. So here goes...

Check out my crappy youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-bzo_oI_L_Y4NL5vyLCPA
Bewarned! We are not videographers. We use our camera phones and a Canon camera. We have yet to utilize the old Sony Handycam and GoPro. We spend more time enjoying the drive than taking photos and videos. So they are all short bits of the action. All raw, no editing.

*Damage Report*
Windshield cranked due to a flying rock on the freeway.
Various small dents from parking lots. Nothing major and you have to look closely.
Front and Rear bumper scratches on the bottom from offroading.
Skid plate scuffs.
Driver side side skirts scuffed up pretty good from offroading. Need some rock sliders soon.
There is a dent in my exhaust pipe right before the muffler canister. It looks like Jeep too a hammer to it to clear the rear sway bar. Kind of a cheap fix.
Dirt everywhere...

1 foot deep puddle after a day of rain

It looks steeper in person.

A little break in the day.

Playing in the mud puddle. That's as much as I get in the SoCal desert. LOL.

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm uploading more videos from today onto youtube. While I'm waiting I'll post pictures from the same day. I we out with my 1st brother and 3rd brother through Bee Canyon in the San Jacinto Mountains. This is both of their first time on this trail and my 3rd brother's first time offroading at all. This trail doesn't have a lot of off the trail challenges, but we found a couple on the trail. The golden goose on the trail was the stream crossing we spent a good amount of our time at. There is a very challenging Jeep trail that I dare not attempt with the Trailhawk until we get some mud tires and a bit of lift.

#10 ·

This is where we stopped on the Jeep Trail and turned around and got back on the main trail. After making the bit before this, I was confident that we could make it through here as well. The problem is that there is no where to turn around after this rough bit and the next challenge up the trail is the part I'm not comfortable with in a stock Trailhawk. We've done it before with my cousin's lifted 4runner on mud tires and my other cousin's 89 Cherokee also lifted on mud tires. With the slip we've been getting with the Trailhawk's stock tires, I doubt it's traction. The hard part of this trail is a very steep continuous climb with a couple of turns and very deep holes.

#13 ·
Info on those steel wheels? I'm sure the more off-pavement minded members would like to know too. Man, I have to admit, with all of the reported problems I kind of wrote the Renegade off. But, these pictures have got me itching for one again. This is the exact trim and color I was going to get too. Thanks for posting.

#14 ·
That looks like a lot of fun!

I've done a fair amount of moderate off-roading in other Jeeps (Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Liberty), but I don't think I've ever had one wheel in the air as shown in a lot of your photos. Can you comment on that? Do you think it's a characteristic of the Renegade or the trails you were on? Having a hard time getting my head around that, but maybe I've always been on easier trails than those.

Thanks!

#15 · (Edited)
My brother with his friends at Pismo Beach. Shore driving and dunes. I'm going to upload a few videos on youtube after I finish here. The salt water and air gets stuff rusty quick. A lot of the pictures are them trying to get shots of the Renegade kicking up sand.

My brother ran into a Cherokee owner and was invited to a Jeep event the next day. They tried to go, but he guessed they had a late night partying and the event started late. He didn't want to wait, because they were out there doing there own thing already. Bunch of Wranglers and a couple of Cherokees.

He drove at 40psi in the tires until he got to a slight hill and got stuck. He aired down to 20psi and was pulled out by a passerby. He was fine the rest of the weekend. There was a steep hill he tire to go up, but failed. Without a recovery vehicle, they didn't want to get into too much trouble and keep relying on random people pull them out.

#25 ·
Here is Big Bear trails from today. Not hard at all. We zig zagged around a couple of trails and tried to stay off pavement as much as possible. There was no off main trail challenges and on the main trail there was only 2 parts that offer any fun challenges. Most of the trail was nice, flat, and smooth. Might as well be a highway. We ran into a Prius on the first trail. Going up and over the mountain was a bit mild, but no where as hard as Bee Canyon or Thomas Trail. The harder bit was going down into the first desert valley and then up and over a bit into another desert valley. But the desert valley itself was flat and smooth.

We filmed all the interesting bit, but there was much. There was many photo ops either.

YouTube

Great fresh organic apple products the end the trip. Apple cider... ummm... Worth a trip down Oak Valley through the apple orchards after coming back down Highway 38. Lot of organic fruits, sweet and juicy. Not that enhanced no flavor produce you get at the supermarkets. Lots of organic apple bi-products too. Jams, breads, pies, etc.

#39 ·
Here is Big Bear trails from today. Not hard at all. We zig zagged around a couple of trails and tried to stay off pavement as much as possible. There was no off main trail challenges and on the main trail there was only 2 parts that offer any fun challenges. Most of the trail was nice, flat, and smooth. Might as well be a highway. We ran into a Prius on the first trail. Going up and over the mountain was a bit mild, but no where as hard as Bee Canyon or Thomas Trail. The harder bit was going down into the first desert valley and then up and over a bit into another desert valley. But the desert valley itself was flat and smooth.

We filmed all the interesting bit, but there was much. There was many photo ops either.

YouTube
Looks like awesome fun! Great pics and video - gave it a thumbs-up, :)

#29 ·
I want to run them only when I go offroading to save on the threads, but my brother made of point of when we get the Renegade looking right with all the goodies, it won't look right on the Trailhawk's wheel package. I was hoping to use the Trailhawk wheels with any brand All Terrain tires to keep cost down, keep fuel economy, and save the mud tires. But I had to pass of the BFG for now because of various reasons and found something cheaper and don't mind running everyday. I still want a set of BFG in the future when they release the new compound and dealers have the size I want readily available.

My next trip will probably be deep into Thomas Trail with the new wheel/tire setup. To do some comparison on the same trail and because my cousin has been scouting for new locations for deer season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.