Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still want the lifetime warranty, but am ify about it. Has anyone used it and gotten great value from having it? I am so concerned of doing something to void it, and wondering if going extended warranty is better in that regard. I read lots of people have purchased the warranty, but has anyone actually gotten significant value from having it? Has anyone had your warranty voided or services denied for lack of some sort of maintenance or proof of maintenance?

Mickee :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
394 Posts
On the BMW I traded in for my Renegade I had over $13,000 in warranty work done for $150. Needless to say shortly after the warranty was up it was time for a new car.

I plan to drive this thing to +200k miles so for $2,315 the max care lifetime warranty was worth it for me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! That one comment of use convinced me. I didn't figure a renegade owner had used it yet, but thought, like the comment, someone had used it on another vehicle and could give idea of whether it was a good or bad deal.

Mickee

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mickee,
The dealer referenced my lifetime warranty during a service call and I received a loaner Renegade for a few days while they did a software update for no charge and no fuss. I expect it to come in handy in a few years.

·
Registered
302 Posts
There are some features that kick in immediately - $35 per day towards car rental, $1000 trip interruption insurance, roadside assistance, etc.

I kept my last 4x4 for 17.5 years - I plan to keep this one at least 7 or 8. I probably spent about $1000 per year to keep my previous 4x4 running so it wouldn't take much to make the EW worthwhile. With the complexity of the Renegade, out of warranty repairs could get expensive. I don't typically purchase an extended warranty but in this case I thought it prudent. Time will tell.

Remember that the unused portion of your EW is refundable if you sell the Jeep early.

You can buy your EW from any dealer so you might want to shop around a bit. I got a lower price from an out of state dealer and got my dealer to drop his price about $350.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The longest I ever kept a vehicle was a 2003 Land Rover that stayed until 2009. Everything else lasted no longer than three years and a couple only 14 months (including the last two). As a result, a lifetme warranty isn't a good value for me. I have no idea how long I'll have the Renegade, but there are always extended warranty plans (if I feel the need) being sold by dealers and others should the Renegade still be here three years from now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Considering That my last two cars were 18 and 15 years old respectively when I sold them, and they had both had thousands of dollars of work done on them, my thinking was that the $2k-ish for the lifetime was totally worth it. We plan on keeping the Renegade for 10+ years so it was a logical investment.

·
Registered
377 Posts
This is news to me. Can you elaborate? What exactly is the unused portion? How early is early?
There is typically a declining value of an extended warranty that varies state-to-state.

For example, if you paid $2500 for an extended warranty that covered 100,000 miles, but you cancelled a warranty at 50,000 miles, your state may allow you cash out that warranty for $1,250. Every aftermarket warranty is a little different. It's worth reading the cancellation fine-print at time of purchase.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've had a few different cars over the course of the last 18 years and I've never had to spend more than a few hundred dollars for repairs on any of them, least of all my (soon to be) last car, which I drove for 6 years with only about $500 of non-maintenance work over that time.

I can understand the peace of mind benefit, but I'll take my chances.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I bought the extended warranty for mine and my husbands renegade (thanks Clay). Personally I hope I don't need it and don't benefit from it- that will mean the car won't have any expensive issues long term.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone had your warranty voided or services denied for lack of some sort of maintenance or proof of maintenance?

Mickee :confused::confused::confused:
An aftermarket "extended warranty" (Service Contract) may not void the coverage but it won't pay for repairs on an item if the it fails and the maintenance was not performed or receipts can not be produced. The contract likely says that they can cancel for lack of maintenance though so it is really up to the companies discretion.

You can buy your EW from any dealer so you might want to shop around a bit.
You can also get them (aftermarket extended warranties) through credit unions. Quite often for cheaper than a dealer.

Remember that the unused portion of your EW is refundable if you sell the Jeep early.
This is news to me. Can you elaborate? What exactly is the unused portion? How early is early?
Typically the refund is prorated based on time or miles whichever has elapsed most. Typically there is a cancellation fee and the carrier may deduct claims.

In most cases you can also transfer the extended warranty to a new owner, for a fee.
I specifically asked about that when I bought mine and the answer was no, it's not transferable (I'm in CA, USA). I didn't ask if any of it is refundable, though. I just assumed not, so the comment above surprises me.
Could have been the provider's rules but aftermarket extended warranties are transferable in CA. And you are due a refund if you didn't cancel your coverage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've had great experiences with Chrysler over the last 30 years on warranty claims through the factory. Never an occurrence of them accusing us of neglecting or abusing a car or using any other seedy tactics to deny a claim. Our car just goes into the dealer with a problem and comes out repaired as it should. I've heard lots of warranty horror stories on Ford (like saying 3 quarts of oil consumption between changes is normal for a new car) & GM products (telling my buddy Pat, "that sound is normal" for bad case of piston slap that ended up killing his engine at 80K miles). I'm a pretty handy car guy, but it was still a no-brainer for me to buy the factory lifetime B2B warranty on our 2013 Grand Caravan, as we plan on keeping it till rust consumes it or we total it. I just had it in recently for an hvac issue and a leaking power steering coolant line. They found a leak on the timing cover too. The hvac blend door got replaced, the two PS cooling lines both got replaced, and the timing cover gasket got replaced. The first two under my extended warranty plan and the last on my existing powertrain warranty. Paid my $100 deductible and left happy as a clam. That was $900+ of repair work on the two items my extended wrnty covered right there. So, even though Chrysler is now Fiat, the warranty services don't appear to have suffered. Neither has the product line, I like the new products coming out from Fiat Chrysler and with their great warranty offerings, my quality fears have been much alleviated. Heck, that's why I'm on this board, am planning to add a Renegade to the stable soon. Have had many similarly smooth warranty experiences with the LeBaron we owned (totalled by mom) and our Plymouth Acclaim too (totalled by sister). Both were well over 12 years old by the time they got killed and had plenty of painless warranty repairs done on them. Don't hesitate to buy the Fiat max care warranty if you can get it for $2.5K. I would have shelled out $7K more than I paid for my Caravan to get a similarly equipped Toyota Sienna when I bought the Caravan new in 2013. Instead, I just put some of that $7K difference into the extended warranty and I pretty much have peace of mind for the life of my car. Of course, we have a spare vehicle, so I don't mind a little downtime once in a while for dealer repairs. If you can't afford any downtime from your car, then just skip reading all this and go buy a Toyota/Lexus. I've had several and only warranty work I ever needed was a door speaker they replaced while I had a quick cup of coffee. My IS300 currently has 300K miles on it and I didn't do anything on it that would have been considered warranty til I passed 250K. That was just wheel bearings, suspension bushings & ball joints. Did fuel pump around that time too. Car is still running like new and that's completely unbelievable considering I've driven it like a stolen race car since the day I bought it new in '03. Sorry to get off on a tangent. Hope this was helpful info.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.