Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
My 2008 Jeep Compass was getting old...but I never had any issues with how it ran or repairs!
So went to Jeep to look at the Cherokee, but just didn't like they way it drove. Drove a Sport Renegade and liked it, but...really liked the look of the Trailhawk and when I drove it, the ride convinced me to spend a few dollars more for the T'hawk.
1. Just seemed to handle better (maybe a placebo affect)
2. Like the higher seating, even if it is just a bit higher that the regular 4x4
3. The look, well, I liked the look of the Kia Soul, but this vehicle look even better and you aren't riding on the ground. I hate some of the boxy square vehicle, but the rounded corner seem to help make the rear of this vehicle less boxy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm buying because it's a size and price that fits our needs, with the bonus of being a cute little vehicle that feels solid and easy for a young driver to handle. It fits 6'1" me as well as my 4'11' daughter. I'm going FWD, and hope I don't regret it. I looked at an identical 4WD model, but the driveline resonating in the body made it easy for me to forgo 4wd and save $2000. In the Chicago suburbs, rapidly deployed plows and salt trucks make 4wd a luxury more than a necessity. If I regret it, a good set of winter tires can do wonders...

We cross-shopped a Patriot, which I liked, but had that knee-banger steering column trim that my daughter and I hated. The Renegade is a lot less stodgy and the colors are a lot more fun. We also looked at a Chevy Tracker (OK), but then we'd have to drive something with a gold bowtie on the decklid, not a Jeep logo...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been driving either a Cavalier or Cobalt 2-door manual transmission for the last decade, and didn't really care for anything else. One night while enjoying a beer and building a Lego set with an SUV and dirtbike trailer I wondered what kinds were out there that might tickle my fancy even though I've never much cared for SUVs. It was mid 2014, and lo-and-behold I see that the Renegade is in development. I wasn't in the market yet for a new vehicle and I've always been quite practical but I knew my Cobalt was in the December of its days.

The more I looked at and read about it the more I wanted one - smaller, fairly efficient, good looking (Trailhawk specifically), extremely capable compared to what I'm used to, 4x4, has tow/roof rack capabilities, lots of interior room, etc. About a month or two after I found out they existed, I saw four of them convoying down I-70 well before they were released in BFE, Kansas as I left work. I could tell from a ways away and loved them the second I saw them in person. Finally they were released and I got to test drive a Trailhawk and fell in love. I'm not rich by any means but damned if I didn't start saving, budgeting, and selling things to get ready. I finally had my dealer track down a 2016 Trailhawk in anvil with MySky and keyless enter. 12,000 miles later and I love it still. I have several minor annoyances - most of which would require Jeep to simply program out, but overall I'm still super happy. I put in the Renegade Ready trailer hitch and the crossbars from Madness and they've been pretty good so far. The only 'issue' I've had is getting some static from the service guys when I asked them to turn off the seatbelt chime... since my (maybe) 10lb backpack was setting it off in the passenger seat. After some unpleasant exchanges and a $30 service charge, they don't ding anymore (I wear my seatbelt all the time - shut up).

Plus I've never had anyone, let alone a dozen people in six months, ask me about or compliment my vehicle whether it was parked or at a stop light until now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went for the Jeep, because of my 6 year old son and playing Top Trumps, Off Roaders! Here there was a Jeep and I was like, 'why can't I have a cool car'. Then it was a trip to the Jeep website and I came across the Renegades, here they were in my price bracket and I really liked the Dawn of Justice (DoJ).
My old car of 9 years was letting me down a bit and the passion for it was falling!
I do really like the shape, bulk, ruggedness and stature of the Renegade.
Attached are the Top Trumps, my old car and new DoJ.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I came from Mini's and BMW's and was tired of the steep maintenance costs andown needed a change. I always liked Jeeps and my son loves them so this fits my family perfectly with decent gas mileage and still take it out camping etc..

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had 3 MINIs in the last 10 years, loved them all but time for something new and there's nothing in
MINI's lineup I currently like. Wanted something cool and funky still, with all of the gadgets and 4WD to help with the VT winters. Renegade fit the bill, my wife has a 2016 JK and honestly I would've bought another Wrangler but wanted something a little more economical ad comfortable for longer road trips. Taking delivery Wednesday of a 2016 Anvil Renegade TH, and can't wait!

·
Registered
326 Posts
So, got my Rennie and have been driving it for a few weeks now. For me, choices are limited because I'm a stickler for my manual transmission--they're getting hard to find, at least in a 4WD SUV. Rennie offered the 6M in a pretty good package at a price I could afford, and so far so good. Love it when the turbo kicks in...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd been looking for something with all-wheel/4-wheel drive, and a manual transmission(at the same time), and the Renegade was the only one I liked the looks of(sorry, Subaru). Almost all the other compact suv's had either a manual, OR all-wheel/4-wheel drive, not both. So, after hearing about the Renegade last year, I started looking more closely at it, I tested a couple, a Sport and a Latitude(automatics, because that's all that was available, plus I wanted to see how it felt in terms of interior space(plenty of it), and how it handled), and they passed with flying colours(except for that bloody awful slushbox:().
So far, I've been very, very happy with my Latitude: 7500+ miles, and lots and lots of smiles.

Karl

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'd been looking for something with all-wheel/4-wheel drive, and a manual transmission(at the same time), and the Renegade was the only one I liked the looks of(sorry, Subaru). Almost all the other compact suv's had either a manual, OR all-wheel/4-wheel drive, not both. So, after hearing about the Renegade last year, I started looking more closely at it, I tested a couple, a Sport and a Latitude(automatics, because that's all that was available, plus I wanted to see how it felt in terms of interior space(plenty of it), and how it handled), and they passed with flying colours(except for that bloody awful slushbox:().
So far, I've been very, very happy with my Latitude: 7500+ miles, and lots and lots of smiles.

Karl
Yeah, exactly my experience. No manuals at local dealers--I found one on a trip to the city, and drove it, but it didn't have the options I wanted so I had several dealers searching for me, and bought from the one that offered the best price (on exactly the same car AFAIK--there were very few in western Canada with the options I wanted).

BTW, I looked at Subaru, too--they're very common in my area, but not only do they look like every otehr car these days, I find the driving experience rather ho-hum, too. The Rennie is actually a fun car to drive!

·
Banned
64 Posts
After owning quite a few different vehicles my wife and I have come to the conclusion that we are a Jeep family.

We live in Michigan and have a full dose of each extreme of the 4 seasons. With that we have learned over time of our list of must have features is that we will no longer buy any vehicles that do not have 4WD, A/T tires, along with ground clearance and 4 doors with interior space.

Our 1st Jeep was a new 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited, which served us well.

I followed that up by purchasing a new 2009 Jeep Wrangler JKU and absolutely love this vehicle. It's the swiss army knife of vehicles which seems to be a PERFECT vehicle for my needs and PERFECT for all 4 seasons in Michigan. When it's time to replace it, I will purchase another Jeep Wrangler and after driving for 30 years and have owned many different vehicles, this is the 1st vehicle I ever owned that I would say, I would go and buy the exact same vehicle on my next purchase.

The 2003 Liberty which my wife was driving was due to be replaced. I tried to convince my wife, that we should buy another Wrangler. She likes my Wrangler, but she's just not in love with it as much as I am. She thinks the Wrangler is ugly. I'm now totally into the off-road lifestyle of the Wrangler and love driving in the open air by completely removing the roof and doors. That's a lot of fun and enjoyment.

So she knew she wanted an SUV with 4WD, Leather seats, Open air roof and good gas mileage at an affordable price point and was stylish. Jeep seems to be the only brand that caters to those combined features. Our choices for her really became deciding between the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Patriot, and the Renegade. The Renegade with it's great exterior styling, nice interior leather seats and trim, MySky roof option, and 4WD option fit her needs perfectly. She also had interests in the Ford Escape, Hyundai Tucson, and Toyota Rav4. The Rav4 we've owned in the past and was pretty happy with that as well. However, none of those similar segment vehicles fit all our needs like the Renegade and the other Jeep vehicles. Apparently those other brands haven't realized some of us are interested in a 4WD small/mid size SUV like Jeep does and when they do offer a vehicle with 4WD you're into the $40-$60K price ranges.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My son is an engineer with FCA, and he ordered a 2015 Renegade Latitude that he drove for nearly a year as an evaluation model. We drove it some when he brought it home for the holidays, liked it, and when it was time for him to turn it in for his next vehicle, we decided to pick it up from Chrysler as a CPO model for a great "employee" price.

It was also equipped the way we wanted it, as a 4x4 with the 1.4 turbo and the 6 speed manual. We are normally a car/van family, but thought it good to have one vehicle with all wheel drive capability yet wasn't a monstrous SUV that sucked gas. We previously had a Saab 9-3 Aero with XWD, a powerful V6 and manual shifter--great performance vehicle especially in the snow, but the maintenance was costly and I just wasn't into the sedan styling. The Renegade has an ample but fairly simple level of equipment, gets better gas mileage than our other cars, and is fun enough to drive with the manual, so long as you're realistic about the power/acceleration.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wife saw one, liked it at our local dealer ,but they did not have the color we wanted. Drove to Virginia to pick one up. Never drove one before and neither did she. So far we are very happy with our purchase.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wanted a car that could tow over 1,500lbs but didn't want a driveway filling truck that pulled 6,000lbs. 4x4 was also a nice to have on my list... Price had to be reasonable too at sub-30g. Renegade is pretty much only car that met my wants. Subaru outback was close but can't tow over 1,500lbs. Landrovers were cool but over the 30g price point. Tacoma/fromtier trucks were nice, filled the driveway and were priced above 30g with 4x4.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was in a hurry and stupid.
Sorry about your luck with the Renegade , IMHO after reading a couple of your threads, I would just trade your Renegade in for something else. I'm sure you could find a dealer willing to give you what you owe for another vehicle on someone`s lot. Heck this weekend would be prime for that or Labor day weekend.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sorry about your luck with the Renegade , IMHO after reading a couple of your threads, I would just trade your Renegade in for something else. I'm sure you could find a dealer willing to give you what you owe for another vehicle on someone`s lot. Heck this weekend would be prime for that or Labor day weekend.
Trade in value is crap. Half to stick with it for a while. Gonna be like an Explorer or Durango. Losses half its value in two years. It is not a bad vehicle, but a CRV or Rav4 are far, FAR, better vehicles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
"In a hurry and stupid"??? Well, he's half right.

If he trades his vehicle in he won't be able to hang around and make asinine incendiary comments in a pathetic attempt to feel better about his sad excuse for a life. Don't take that away from him.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Trade in value is crap. Half to stick with it for a while. Gonna be like an Explorer or Durango. Losses half its value in two years. It is not a bad vehicle, but a CRV or Rav4 are far, FAR, better vehicles.
Owned a crv prior to the Renegade and I disagree. The crv doesn't have the towing capacity and when loaded with coolers and gear it sags so much the wheel well almost rubs. The AwD wasn't designed for offroad so anything more than a dirt road is sketchy (took it out to big bend off the main roads for camping). Also the airbags in my crv were the Takata brand and the ac blew up after 6 years..... I will say the crv engine and tyranny were good and the gas mileage was ok, about 21mpg. Still it had a smaller gas tank as the total range was about 230miles. I do miss the bigger trunk in the CRV.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 79 Posts