Jeep Renegade Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
My Renegade never goes off road. No spare tire. When I do go off road, I take my FSJ Cherokee. 95 cu ft of cargo room and it can tow a Renegade on a trailer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Trade in value is crap. Half to stick with it for a while. Gonna be like an Explorer or Durango. Losses half its value in two years. It is not a bad vehicle, but a CRV or Rav4 are far, FAR, better vehicles.
Well I don`t know what year you have, but I was willing to purchase a slightly used(670 miles and titled) 15` limited with a couple more options for more money, but I was to late as that Jeep sold before I could go see it. It was on the market for 20 days. I don`t see 15`s losing as much as you think unless you have some ungodly miles on her..or you have a 16`

·
Registered
326 Posts
It is not a bad vehicle, but a CRV or Rav4 are far, FAR, better vehicles.
Perhaps, but not available with a manual transmission (anymore). Neither Honda nor Toyota (nor Nissan nor Hyundai nor Mazda nor Kia) will get my business until they make a manual 4X4 SUV available again.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
You can get them with manual transmission in the UK. Come over here and play :D On a serious note, the majority must want auto boxes. I'm guessing that auto is the preference? If they can't shift manual cars, they ain't going to import them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a used 2015 Latitude and this is my 5th jeep. I had a 2012 Jeep Liberty which I absolutely loved. However, I want to get a motor home when I retire and the Liberty was not towable except on a trailer, it was not a 4x4. The Renegade I purchased is front wheel drive and towable on a dolly, which is fine with me. As I said I loved my Liberty but the gas mileage was terrible, I averaged about 12 mpg around town. With the Renegade I am averaging 24 mpg around town and 29 on the highway. The only concern I have with the Renegade is when the engine is cold it seems to hesitate when shifting from 1st to 2nd, it's an automatic. I thought at first I just had to get use to it but it has continued, but only when the engine is cold, seems after you drive it a while it doesn't do it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have always been into SUVs, but due to the very very high taxes on cars in Denmark, the SUVs i liked, have always been out of my price range.
The few small SUVs that were in my price range, didn't really excite me.

So I had a Fiat 500, which I had planned to keep until it was at least 10 years old.

But then the Renegade was released, and I really liked it. It had that boxy SUV look I like, I love the many details, and most importantly of course, I really enjoyed the test drive.
And this was within my price range.

I love travelling, especially road trips to the National Parks in western US, and have done this many times. This has also included several trips to Moab, Utah, renting Jeep Wranglers and doing some of the many trails in the area. Southern Utah, including Moab is one of my absolute favorit places in this world.
These trips in Moab has made me love Jeeps. So the fact that there was now a Jeep, with a look that I liked, and a price that I could afford, made it a very interesting option.
The Moab topographic map on the seats, was just the final touch, that made me feel that this car was designed for me.

So even though I had planned to keep the Fiat for at least 3 more years, I changed my mind and ordered the Renegade.

·
Registered
24 Posts
my 2000 dodge dakota was showing signs of getting ready to cost more than it was worth, I wanted something 4 wheel drive that wasn't really car like and the renny was about the only choice at my price range for that

·
Registered
78 Posts
Replaced my Ford

I have 150K on my 2003 Focus Wagon. I looked at the Golf, Honda HR-V and Soul, but the Jeep has the best head and leg room. I don't like the center console in the Golf and HR-V that is so tall and wide that it restricts my right leg from moving around. If the Renegade had the turbo diesel in the US, I would not have even looked at the others much.

We occasionally tow a small trailer, the Ford was fine for that, but the Renegade will be better than the others. I like the way it's up a bit higher above the road. A couple of my first vehicles I had in High School were the IH Scout and Toyota FJ40 in college, so I've had my share of getting stuck in nasty places and jacking, road building and winching out. I know the Renegade is more limited, but the the rough stuff is what my Dodge Town Panel Power Wagon is for.

We go camping and get out on forest service roads to poke around. Last month we were out on the coast after a storm and had to keep getting out of our Honda Fit to move branches that had fallen on the dirt road and we also had to turn around before we got to Cascade Head overlook because of deep mud holes.

We are going to Cave Creek AZ next month, so I look forward to taking the renegade out to Tonto NF mine and mountain roads to see what's what. I'll have to get a spare and a jack, since i did not get them new. I like my choice after a couple of weeks. Commuting is very comfortable and I'm getting 24 mpg in mixed driving in the foothills of SE Portland.

·
Registered
476 Posts
@77cherokee...so, get a spare. If you wanted one you would have one.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I live in NE Ohio, but drive 50 miles north into the state's snow belt every day for work. I wanted to sit a little higher, have some traction, and a little more respect from the SUV and Pickups that's 95% of vehicles here. Seriously, if I die in an accident, I did NOT want the "cause of death" listed as a Kia Rio hatchback.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Oh. And it was a solid white paint. NOT tri-pearl shift changing san-fran fog white whatever.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Why the Renegade?

I went with the Renegade because of the winters where I live. I was also planning on being a mom soon and all of the other small SUVs did not look as cool or have as many fun options for a good price. It was frustrating trying to find a "safe family car" while at the same time NOT doing the mini van or a big SUV. Out of the other small SUVs that were on the market when I was looking to buy I liked the overall look of the Renegade the most.
I'm still very happy with my choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In the past 20 years I've had 6 Subarus' (Foresters, Imprezas, Outback, Legacy GT station wagon) and 2 other JEEPS (2003 Liberty, older Cherokee). I never really had maintenance problems with any. When I decided to trade-in my 2009 Forester Limited I looked at the usual list of suspects. Rav4, CRV, Mazda, any of the Subarus. I'm alone and wanted something a little smaller than the Forester. I rarely use the back seat and the cargo area is fine in any of them. So after driving them all I narrowed it down to the Renegade Trailhawk and Subaru Crosstrek. I've always liked the very square styling of vehicles and the Crosstrek was getting more and more "streamlined". I was leaning toward the Trailhawk and when I saw one in Solar Yellow, the decision was made that much easier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is the thing these days, everything looks the same in the class, but not the Renegade. Jeep were definitely correct with their advertising slogans of 'be a voice, not an echo' and 'dare to be different' etc. No matter where you park a Renegade, it will stand out.
Same here there's too many vanilla looking cars out there nowadays, apart from the Renegade there's not much choice. They've stopped making the Defender now so that just leaves....... Jeep

·
Registered
10 Posts
Perhaps, but not available with a manual transmission (anymore). Neither Honda nor Toyota (nor Nissan nor Hyundai nor Mazda nor Kia) will get my business until they make a manual 4X4 SUV available again.
They aren't making a diesel version RAV now as it is "unfashionable and dirty". Hybrid, petrol or nothing as I was told by my local dealer

·
Registered
26 Posts
As a European, I always loved American cars. Both muscle cars, as well as pick-ups, jeeps etc. Pick-ups are no use in a country as the Netherlands. Anything fast or powerful seems to be very pointless in small streets and with a max speed of 130km/h. The Renegade is what comes closest to this look and is affordable. Many compact SUV’s over here to choose from, however in my opinion they all look so much the some and try to be sporty and offroad at the same time. Not my cup of tea.
I must say I had to get used to the many plastics of the Renny, so also looked into a Fiat 500X (after driving a Fiat for years without problems). However, Renny seems to be a little bigger and more unique. After a long search , found a Renny that combined tough looks with nice details (brown-white-orange interior). At the end, it was the fun factor and the unique looks that did it for me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i bought my jeep because i blew my back out and was told i could no longer play golf. this way i could drive on the beach and surf fish. but my back healed and now my jeep is a golf cart lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Instead of spending 2000$ to fix the clutch on our 2005 volvo s40, my wife and I decided we wanted an AWD small suv. After searching I found a dealer had a new 2016 Latitude 1.4t 6M for just over 18,000$. Our second trip there they finally found it hidden in one of their storage units lol. It had 2 miles on it, we test drove it and loved it right away. Just over 2 years no problems and we are very happy. It's even more fun to drive with the Madness Maxpower and diverter valve.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts