Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 trailhawk beats audio hear. Wanted to check audio fuses in car. Looked in manual. Page 160. In the trunk fuse box there is a 20 amp fuse in the hifi audio system slot. If I upped that to like 30 or 40 would that give me more audio "power" or like blow my system u think.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Welcome!

Yeah, no. Putting a higher-amperage fuse in won't increase any power, which the device (audio system in this case) uses. In other words, that's the amount of power (voltage times current) that the device uses -- voltage is fixed at ~12v; and the device pulls as much current as it needs. That amount of current is always much less than the rating of the fuse (to provide a safety margin).

Power isn't "pushed" to the system. The audio system would use the same amount of power, and pull the same amount of current, even if you had an inch-thick cable going to it.

A higher-amperage fuse wouldn't blow the system, since the system will still pull exactly the same amount of current. But it would greatly increase the risk of burning wiring (that's designed for the current that's supposed to be going through it) if there's a short circuit; or worse, causing a car fire.

·
Registered
684 Posts
2018 trailhawk beats audio hear. Wanted to check audio fuses in car. Looked in manual. Page 160. In the trunk fuse box there is a 20 amp fuse in the hifi audio system slot. If I upped that to like 30 or 40 would that give me more audio "power" or like blow my system u think.
no, better chance of wire overload and fire, upping amps is used when more powerful systems are installed with higher amps, which would mean rewiring for the increase

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
upping amps is used when more powerful systems are installed with higher amps, which would mean rewiring for the increase
Yup. The only way to increase amplifier power would be to install a, well, higher-power amplifier. But then you'd have to re-wire with thicker-gauge wiring on that circuit, so it could take the higher current (amps) that the new amplifier would pull. And of course then, and only then, would that circuit have a higher-amperage fuse.

But these Renegades are so weird electrically and electronically, that you'd really, really need to know what you're doing... ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts