Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never noticed until now for some reason, but will the 1.4T require premium fuel? I only noticed because I was perusing the Dart on Fuel.gov and noticed the Dart 1.4T demands to run 91?

I dunno if thats case its going to reduce fuel savings by a good bit in terms of actual cost, not how many MPG's you will be saving in Renegade vs XYZ you have now.

Plan accordingly :D

p to the s, appologies if I'm the only yamasuki who missed that >:D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
This is going to be tough, but I know for a fact high output engines require it and a 1.4 is sort of in the low range but a turbo might change that. For the sake of affordability i hope it can take regular.

·
Registered
141 Posts
According to something I had read, it said the 1.4T recommends premium for optimal performance.. However.. 87 octane will be adequate. If I find it I'll post it here.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a Dart with the 1.4T. You can run regular but, premium is recommended for optimal performance.

I personally run premium 100% of the time, I mean it is only 2 to 3 dollars more per fillup.

Scott

·
Registered
953 Posts
Unless the car specifically asks for it I go with regular. I think that a car like the Renegade won't make you use premium. Regular should be fine.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Dart with the 1.4T. You can run regular but, premium is recommended for optimal performance.

I personally run premium 100% of the time, I mean it is only 2 to 3 dollars more per fillup.

Scott
thank you scott!

·
Registered
134 Posts
People blow this out of proportion. At every station I've ever seen, "midgrade" is only .10 to .15 cents more per gallon. So you're talking, what, $2 bucks more for a fillup on midgrade? Big deal...if it makes the engine run in it's sweet spot it's worth it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Renegades fuel tank holds 12.7 gallons (48 liters)

National Average Fuel Prices

Regular: $3.69
Midgrade: $3.86
Premium: $4.02

Using National Averages we get:

Regular: $46.86/Fill up
Midgrade: $49.02/Fill up
Premium: $51.05/Fill up

Do we know expected MPG per year yet? We can than figure out average annual fuel cost...

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
People blow this out of proportion. At every station I've ever seen, "midgrade" is only .10 to .15 cents more per gallon. So you're talking, what, $2 bucks more for a fillup on midgrade? Big deal...if it makes the engine run in it's sweet spot it's worth it.
Exactly, if it provides a real benefit then by all means go right ahead but in some cases it has been proven to be a waste so in the end you could have got yourself a free coffee :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
Exactly, if it provides a real benefit then by all means go right ahead but in some cases it has been proven to be a waste so in the end you could have got yourself a free coffee :D
Well, I and others have noticed a quicker and smoother acceleration, a slight increase in MPG (+1 or 2).

Scott

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 or 2 mpg is pretty much worthless, its like picking up pennies in front of a steam roller. Basically either or then, you're saving a couple hundred using regular per year I would imagine...

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Basically thats what it comes down to sadly, i'd only be willing to do that in a hummer H1 or some beast like it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Premium Fuel 1.4

Hey guys, first post and possible future owner.

I looked up the owners manual on Jeep's website and saw with the 1.4 engine it recommended using premium, but not required (like in my Mitsu).
So would it have a negative effect on MPG if you used regular? Or would it be about the same?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I would just stick with whatever was recommended in the owners manual for a number of reasons. I doubt you'll see any difference in MPG.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You will see a loss in MPG and HP due to the engine having to retard timing to keep from "knocking" or detonation especially during the summer months.

This engine does not like heat at all and will quickly shed HP during 80+ temp days and running anything lower the premium will just add to it.

·
Super Moderator
3,476 Posts
Unless fiat has some hidden trick, reducing octane will cause the ECU to pull timing, which loses you power, and it will cause the ECU to bump up the injector duty cycle so you run rich and use the added fuel to cool the charge and pull some heat out of the combustion chamber. These things will happen under acceleration. As stated they will reduce power and fuel economy.

It beats burning a hole in your piston, which was what would happen int he olden days of turbo charging.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As a current Abarth owner (Same motor as the Renegade 1.4t) I would never even think about running Regular gas vs premium in the car.

It will do nothing but make it run like crap pulling boost and timing like crazy.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts