Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think most of us here of fans of the Renegade as well as the 500x, but FCA's general reliability reputation is a serious concern as well. Right now the problems with the 9 speed automatic seem to be unending. A 3rd software patch was issued in February which clearly suggest that the first two failed to solve the problems with the transmission. Unless something changes drastically with the software patch, you will see people backing off any of these vehicles. Yes, the Cherokee continues to sell well, but the more problems get publicized this is bound to change.

Cars.com who did a long term test on the Cherokee, today surveyed its entire staff and they unanimously said they would never by this vehicle because of the myriad of problems with the 2.4 and the 9 speed.

Look, right now I drive one of the most reliable cars on the road, 2014 Mazda 6 which also offers great mileage. Twenty months and I've yet to have any dealer visit except for normal maintenance and one minor recall. As much as I'm enamored of the Renegade and 500x, it ain't gonna happen unless there's a major turn around on this transmission problem in the next year or so.

Some on other sites have suggested the problem could be solved by simply going with the 6 speed auto. used in the Dart. I suspect that even if that was a clear and simple solution to resolve the problem, FCA wouldn't knuckle under and admit that the 9 speed was a
huge blunder. Corporate mentality being what it is they never admit they're wrong. Look at GM ignoring the ignition problem as the body count piled up.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
It's difficult to compare the auto in the Renegade with the auto in other models (except maybe the 500). It will be different enough. Time will tell if they have the programming spot on for the Renegade.

For me though, I will get one with the manual transmission. I just don't like driving cars with automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Look, right now I drive one of the most reliable cars on the road, 2014 Mazda 6 which also offers great mileage. Twenty months and I've yet to have any dealer visit except for normal maintenance and one minor recall. As much as I'm enamored of the Renegade and 500x, it ain't gonna happen unless there's a major turn around on this transmission problem in the next year or so
I've owned my current vehicle for 109 months and never a dealer or mechanic visit period (and zero recalls). That's almost 190,000 miles. I too, would never buy the 9-speed, also opting for a manual like bwbike.

I said over a year ago that I would buy the Cherokee if it were offered with a manual as in other countries. That would make owning the Cherokee a viable option for those who want a long-term vehicle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's fine if you can bipass this issue by buying a manual. But as we all know 90% of potential buyers of these vehicles will be opting for automatic (Trailhawk-Auto. only). So the viability of this from a sales perspective depends on the automatic. I'm no engineer so I have no idea whether the Renegade-500x would have different programming of the transmission given the identical drivetrain to the Cherokee. Come back in a year and we'll see.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
First, most people are totally unaware of issues with the 9 speed. Probably even more of the car buying public are unaware two different vehicles can have the same transmission, or that every automatic everywhere isn't the same.

Case in point, Honda accord and odyssey with the v6 seem to eat transmissions about as fast as most cars go through timing belts. The consumer seems to be largely unaware.

Beyond that the zf 9 speed is going into more than just FCA cars now. Last time I checked I also didn't see the same gripes for it in the 200. On the cherokee it may just be a matter of how they integrated it into the drive train and doing inadviseable things to make it feel pleasing to customers.

·
Registered
602 Posts
To expand on what Raz-O said; I have read where the Renegade has a different programming than the Cherokee. This makes sense since the Renegade is lighter and serves a slightly different purpose where the Cherokee is meant to be a more serious off roader than the Renegade.. With that being said, given how many updates it has had, it could be a possibility that the 9 speed is just a mismatch for the Renegade it's self and all the reprogramming in the world is not going to help. Time will tell and thats why I am waiting.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My preference was for the 2.4/auto combo. High cost and the tranny programming being an irreconcilable master over my driving enjoyment drove me to consider the 1.4/manual and with each new report am glad that has been my new choice.

Interesting event: As I was driving under an Ohio Turnpike overpass today, a carrier with Renegades was going west as a carrier with Wranglers was going east. Sign from God? I won't go that far. But it is a sign that FCA wants to rule the world and may have millions of automatic transmissions to recall/replace very soon. And FCA will NEVER cooperate. After two years, people are still dying in Libertys waiting for one of millions of needed hitches. And those are just hitches, not transmissions.

And I'm all for the choice of automatic. Just remember: WYSIWYG.

The 2.4/auto combo won't doom either car. I think the Renegade is a wonderful little platform made best with the simplest of mechanicals. A 1.4 engine with a little manual tranny. And I'll be one of the first to get one.

IMHO.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Please don't take my words as a guarantee but a friend of my friend got the cherokee V6 and he is not having any issue with the transmission. He seems satisfied so far...

Could it be that only the V4 is the one not matching the transmission in the Cherokee thus requiring endless finetunings?

Just guessing...

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
To expand on what Raz-O said; I have read where the Renegade has a different programming than the Cherokee. This makes sense since the Renegade is lighter and serves a slightly different purpose where the Cherokee is meant to be a more serious off roader than the Renegade.. With that being said, given how many updates it has had, it could be a possibility that the 9 speed is just a mismatch for the Renegade it's self and all the reprogramming in the world is not going to help. Time will tell and thats why I am waiting.
mismatch for the cherokee I think you mean.

They did what they could to smooth out the dog clutches, and I suspect via software the introduced too much slip and the associated wear, and now you are seeing failures. The wet clutch pack system in the renegade should be less annoying and more tolerant of efforts to make it smooth.

As would the setup in the 200.

·
Registered
602 Posts
mismatch for the cherokee I think you mean.

They did what they could to smooth out the dog clutches, and I suspect via software the introduced too much slip and the associated wear, and now you are seeing failures. The wet clutch pack system in the renegade should be less annoying and more tolerant of efforts to make it smooth.

As would the setup in the 200.
Yes, I meant Cherokee.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wonder if this is more rumors than facts. I would give simply time to see how the Renegade and the 500x perform within the next year at least. As problem arise, identifying what needs to be fixed and what is no good will show true.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The 9 speed appears to be a very good transmission with relatively few issues. Programming its computer is not that big of an issue and the vast majority are good to go as is. I would not fear buying a 9 speed and would much rather have the 2.4 than the 1.4 turbo.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The 9 speed appears to be a very good transmission with relatively few issues. Programming its computer is not that big of an issue and the vast majority are good to go as is. I would not fear buying a 9 speed and would much rather have the 2.4 than the 1.4 turbo.
I just hope it holds up well enough for the long term, beyond the original warranty term

·
Registered
85 Posts
My biggest complaint with the 9-speed isn't the issues FCA is having with its programming (ZF provides the mechanicals and the auto manufacturer provides the software, according to ZF). Rather, my complaint is of how they implemented the 9 gears; i.e., they're all tall gears designed to maximize fuel economy. But in doing so, they've killed all the fun...and not at all enhanced acceleration or smoothness in the process. And, WTF is up with the too-tall 9th gear?! I say with a degree of certainty that millions of Renegade auto owners will never see 9th gear because they'll never hit speeds high enough. Nine gears and it hits 60 in 2nd?? No, this transmission should have closely spaced gears which aid acceleration and increase shift smoothness, with maybe 2 overdrive gears instead of 4.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
377 Posts
I own a V6 Cherokee (wife's daily driver). Front axle replaced due to wobble, but no transmission issues.

Very happy with it after redesigned axles were installed. Hands down the best option in the class for us.

And FCA stood behind it, extending my factory drivetrain warranty to 180,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.