Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Jeep Renegade has been on sale in Europe since September of 2014, and so far its sales have been good, but not great. it could be the case that this is because it hasn't quite picked up steam yet, but the other possibility is that it could be a sales flop. There are reasons to believe that either side of the debate is true.

The Jeep Renegade is competing in the compact SUV segment, which is a very crowded and competitive segment. That means that doing well is a high order in the first place. While the Jeep Renegade does offer great design, a good engine and a nice interior, it falls short when it comes to fuel efficiency -- consistently ranked as the number one priority of car buyers. The segment leaders for fuel efficiency are the Nissan Juke and the Honda HR-V.

One of the Jeep Renegade's greatest strengths is also one of its weaknesses. The Jeep Renegade is an off-road capable vehicle. It has 4WD and lives up to Jeep's reputation for trail-ready vehicles. The question is whether the general public care about off-roading capabilities. Sure it will appeal to off-road enthusiasts, but that is only a small segment of the compact SUV segment.

Concrete numbers on sales data isn't quite available yet, but from what I have found it seems that the Renegade isn't about to start competing for the top of the segment. That may have never been the goal though. Sales have been improving since September each month. September saw 361 sales, October 1,401 and November 2,281.

http://left-lane.com/european-car-sales-data/jeep/jeep-renegade/

Only time will tell if the Renegade will be a sales success, and the American market could be a whole other story.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Maybe if Jeep would hurry up and get some cars over here we could find out. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
idk its hard to say how it will do here in america. The biggest problem i think will be that america just doesnt buy manuals much anymore. so most americans will want to auto trans which requires a engine upgrade (which i would want anyway, id rather have to na 2.4 over the 1.4 turbo.) so right off the bat we'll have to add about $1500 to the latitude price (thats going to be their volume model) thats 23,800 for the base latitude with powertrain upgrade. i think its a little too much specially when you consider the point of the renegade is a small SUV thats capable off road. So to deliver on that premise youd need to get 4x4 for $2000. so were at 25,800 for a latitude. if it would come down to $23,500 for the 4x4 latitude with the 2.4 auto it would be a huge hit in america.

Basically i think the 1.4 should only be on the sport and it needs power and a/c to be standard at $18,000. the latitude for roughly the same price its at now should come standard with the 2.4 auto ($21,500). so the only option you should need to get is 4x4 for $2000 ($23,500). The limited should come with what it does now plus 4x4 already included for $26,000. The trailhawk should be $25,000 just how it comes now. All these prices should already include the destination fee.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think it will do well - but I doubt it's going to lead the category (unless you define the category as off-road-capable sub-compact SUVs built in Italy :D ).

I also keep hoping that the street price may end up (eventually) 10-15% under the MSRP due to rebates and incentives. That will definitely help sales. It will also really depend on how well they are liked by those that do buy them. Word of mouth can really help build momentum.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Looks like Kia thinks it may be a success, if the following turns out to be true? At lease they are not sitting on their laurels and maybe taking the Renegade as a serious threat.

Rumor has it that Kia is going to create the perception that the new Soul is competitive with Trailhawk.

If so, this should get interesting.
https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/an-2015-jeep-renegade-priced-to-stomp-the-competition.159125/page-10#post-1084668505
and

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think it will succeed. I see all the Patriots and Compasses running around and think, how can it not? Kia can try to compete, but reality is different from perception :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
I already mentioned this but I again think the Renegade could sell like the Juke or Soul in its lower trims here in Canada. I am not sure the Trailhawk version will though... Too expensive for its size (again here in Canada)

I mean even the Cherokee presence on our roads here (Montreal) is not massive compared to competitions from other makes... For example more Rogues 2014/15 on our roads than Cherokees Sports or North (Latitude) or even Limited... Yet, I very very rarely crossed the path of Cheokee Trailhawks... Propably 3 since their release

I expect the same phenomenon, more or less with the Renegade here... Perhaps a little more sales in Sport and North models (Latitude)

Patriot and Compass are not in the same category of price and their massive sale comes from the fact they are entry level jeeps yet people can still get 2WD of those for low prices... And they are everywhere here!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am one of the unusual Americans that still insists on driving a manual. I was very interested in the Renegade because I thought I had an option in a manual that would offer style, functionality, fun, and still provide the utility I need in a compact SUV. Part of that utility is light towing. The 2.4 with manual would have been ideal. I would have paid more for this option to not deal with the turbo and 91 octane requirement.
Unfortunately, while I like the Renegade, it is off the table as currently optioned.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am one of the unusual Americans that still insists on driving a manual. I was very interested in the Renegade because I thought I had an option in a manual that would offer style, functionality, fun, and still provide the utility I need in a compact SUV. Part of that utility is light towing. The 2.4 with manual would have been ideal. I would have paid more for this option to not deal with the turbo and 91 octane requirement.
Unfortunately, while I like the Renegade, it is off the table as currently optioned.
Yeah - I hear ya. While I don't have plans for towing - I do want to use a hitch-mounted bike rack. But it looks like I'll either have to get the 2.4L/9sp - or slap on an after-market hitch. I'd certainly prefer a manual - but until I test drive both, I won't rule out the 2.4L/9sp.

·
Registered
602 Posts
These vehicles are in demand by a niche market. At first, sales will be good but will tapper off with in the next 1 1/2- 3 tears. Your Sports and Latitudes will be the main market while the Trailhawk will be sold to the Renegade die hards. Since you are looking at mid to low thirties for A Trailhawk, expect Jeep fanatics/ people to go toward the Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited mostly followed by the Cherokee because of the same price you can have either three with more 4X4 capability. Another factor to throw in is the new Chevy Colorado 4X4 with a diesel. So I think in a year to two years time the Trailhawk will be a low seller and I expect some deep discounts on them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Until the end of december have been sold 3632 Renegades in Italy. It is a good result considering that the Renegade in Italy is really expensive, I paid $41600 for a 2.0 Diesel 4WD ATX.

Total sales in Europe should be around 5700 Renegades (always until the end of december).

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I too like to drive a manual. Both of my current cars have a manual. I really wish the Renegade offered a small 6 cylinder engine with maybe 250+ HP. At least FCA should offer the 2.4 with the manual in the Renegade. I'll have to see how the 1.4 drives.

·
Super Moderator
3,380 Posts
I too like to drive a manual. Both of my current cars have a manual. I really wish the Renegade offered a small 6 cylinder engine with maybe 250+ HP. At least FCA should offer the 2.4 with the manual in the Renegade. I'll have to see how the 1.4 drives.
The transverse inline 4 barely fits, you aren't getting a transverse 6 in there straight, flat, v, or otherwise without making a new very small displacement engine. Which would be kind of silly if you wanted the torque of an engine with more displacement.

If you could find the space to hang a turbo off the 2.4 I'm sure it'd be pretty spiffy though. Doubt you could pull that off either with plumbing, but a hood scoop with a top mount IC might be possible.

·
Super Moderator
3,380 Posts
As for a sales success, I think it already is in the EU for jeep as it is a huge increase in sales in the segment for them.

In the US? I think it is on the bubble. Not necessarily jeeps fault though as they appear to be aiming at about the 2/3 mark for the segment which is a bit overly proud of itself IMO. 1 It'll depend on what invoice is, cost of options, how much dealer hold back, and how willing dealers are to negotiate. All of those things are fairly adjustable for jeep with the way they rolled it out. If there is enough margin, you can fix most with incentives for the buyer and/or dealer. If there's not enough margin, there's always changing supply to the brazillian factory or retooling one of the US factories they are moving production out of (the US notion only applies if the renegade qualifies to get whacked with the chicken tax, I don't know the details of that tariff well, but suspect it doesn't).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Full disclosure: I am a AWD Juke owner, and have not been satisfied with the Juke. The Renegade will be one of the few small SUV/crossovers to offer a manual and 4WD. I think enthusiasts will be looking forward to that, as that is a major complaint over on the Juke Forums.

If the Renegade can get 30 MPG or more consistently on the highway, I think it will sell significant units. The Juke suffers from a lemon-ish issue where a significant chunk of models sold don't get anywhere near the advertised MPG (mine gets about 21 city and 25 highway). The Juke also has about half the cargo capacity the Renegade will offer.

I also think a lot of people here are sleeping on the turbo engine. An ECU tune for $500 will likely unlock at least 30 HP and 30 Ft/Lbs looking at the tunes for the Darts and Fiats. That is more than the 2.4 puts out. Any everyone complaining about using higher octane gas, the price difference is typically 20 cents. Assuming 15,000 miles a year, at 20 miles per gallon (conservative number), that's an extra $150 a year. Or about 10-12 bucks a month.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Full disclosure: I am a AWD Juke owner, and have not been satisfied with the Juke. The Renegade will be one of the few small SUV/crossovers to offer a manual and 4WD. I think enthusiasts will be looking forward to that, as that is a major complaint over on the Juke Forums.

If the Renegade can get 30 MPG or more consistently on the highway, I think it will sell significant units. The Juke suffers from a lemon-ish issue where a significant chunk of models sold don't get anywhere near the advertised MPG (mine gets about 21 city and 25 highway). The Juke also has about half the cargo capacity the Renegade will offer.

I also think a lot of people here are sleeping on the turbo engine. An ECU tune for $500 will likely unlock at least 30 HP and 30 Ft/Lbs looking at the tunes for the Darts and Fiats. That is more than the 2.4 puts out. Any everyone complaining about using higher octane gas, the price difference is typically 20 cents. Assuming 15,000 miles a year, at 20 miles per gallon (conservative number), that's an extra $150 a year. Or about 10-12 bucks a month.
Ah yes, but you can bet there will be a tune for the 2.4 as well.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts