Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a boat trailer winch I was thinking of Click the red link

For all you guys that have the experience of winching (Not to be confused with Scotland as that's snogging/kissing :p) I have just purchased this winch. The combined weight of the boat is approx 2200Lbs or 1 tonne and the winch it a 2 tonne straight pull.

Keep in mind that the load will lessen as the boat reaches its tipping point on a swinging cradle with rollers. ie Rolling stock just like trains use less energy to pull once they are moving.

Is this overkill in your opinion for winching or just a case of me buying what I can afford based upon a self imposed x2 Safe Working Load of a stationary item.

I understand this is not a boat section but it has a great knowledge and wealth from individuals that are always out there on the tracks and in the dirt using winches. Best opportunity imho of getting great replies.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
290 Posts
Dear puddlesplasher

Do you want to use the winch to pull the boat onto the trailer? I’ve personally never seen a winched mechanism for this. I always see the human powered hand ratchet cranks.

Is your boat that of a larger type? I help my father with his 24 foot Yamaha from time to time, so maybe I just haven’t seen enough big boats on trailers.

And show us a pic of your boat, we’re interested (at least I am ;)).

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
What Jeepatron said. Definitely need some pictures on this one. Preferably showing how the boat is being winched on the trailer. I like boats, have had many over the years. A friend of mine has an electric winch on his trailer but it is quite small and can load his 25' boat without problems.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you want to use the winch to pull the boat onto the trailer? I’ve personally never seen a winched mechanism for this. I always see the human powered hand ratchet cranks.

Is your boat that of a larger type? I help my father with his 24 foot Yamaha from time to time, so maybe I just haven’t seen enough big boats on trailers.

And show us a pic of your boat, we’re interested (at least I am ;)).
Yeah the electric winch will be used for pulling the boat onto the trailer. Lots of the trailers have them attached directly to the winch post as a primary winch with the manual, hand cranked, sitting in the boot as a spare. Though small and only weighing 13kg they have your boat secured in 1/2 the time it takes to hand crank it. I've seen us on the baby, manual winch setting turning the winch with one hand and getting nowhere as it is virtually effortless. However if I put the manual winch onto the second, Daddy setting then the boat will come onto the trailer quicker but you can be really grinding hard to secure it in that mode. Meanwhile the electric winch doesn't puff and pant and just whirrs along.

A great advantage is that the Jeep is sitting for less time on wet sand and it reduces the chance of the rear wheels settling into the sand and getting stuck when using an electric winch.

The boat is 16ft and as I was walking back to the boat yesterday after launching I took a couple of pictures. I will upload it shortly for you.

The winch and components have arrived, just awaiting a re-delivery of the wiring and then it's back to the caravan and boat :love:

What Jeepatron said. Definitely need some pictures on this one. Preferably showing how the boat is being winched on the trailer. I like boats, have had many over the years. A friend of mine has an electric winch on his trailer but it is quite small and can load his 25' boat without problems.
Ahh in that case it looks like I may be taking the correct path afterall by going electric as opposed to manual. (y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here it is launched and sitting in about 18" of water waiting to go fishing into the Irish Sea. This was taken at low tide.

16ft long and has a combined weight of just over 1 ton including the trailer. Look at the sand and you can see the tyre tracks. Though it's relatively hard packed I feel that the quicker the boat gets on the trailer then the quicker we get off the wet sand and into a place of safety

1 - 5 of 5 Posts