Jeep Renegade Forum banner

121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have had wind noise at my driver's side door on our 2015 Sport from the start. The weather seal was messed up on that door from the factory and my dealer tried to replace it several months ago. It is still not right and the wind noise continues. They said the wind noise was "normal" because the mirrors were so big but there is no wind noise on the passenger side. It is going back to the dealer tomorrow for attempt #3 on proper weather seal installation. My 2008 Commander has had none of the quality issues that this 2015 Renegade has. I am beginning to understand why some people call it a Fiat with a Jeep logo.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I eliminated 80% of the wind noise by putting a thin flexible wire between the first inside molding and the inside seal that contacts the window going down the front length.I used a old iPhone cable just cut it to length.
You'll have a small gap now between the molding and seal which will push the inside seal tighter against the window
You got the gap or you got wind noise?
I'll look at the gap untill jeep comes with a fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
I eliminated 80% of the wind noise by putting a thin flexible wire between the first inside molding and the inside seal that contacts the window going down the front length.I used a old iPhone cable just cut it to length.
You'll have a small gap now between the molding and seal which will push the inside seal tighter against the window
Good looking out. Going to do same until i see official fix pop up

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fixed ours by replacing door and body molding seals
You can't just replace one as the seals are fourmed together after install at factory
I also notice driver door was slightly off bad line and had it lined up when I asked for new seals
No wind noise at all after that
But if a dealer only replaces door or the body seal the nosie will lesson but not be gone

·
Registered
243 Posts
My wind sound was coming from the window and front seal.I took mine to the dealer and they replaced the window seals and I still had the noise afterwards ,they said that it was normal for the jeep. What I did today with the cord worked for me!

·
Registered
243 Posts
H
I'll look at the gap untill jeep comes with a fix.[/QUOTE
Im going to replace the wire cord wth the same diameter all rubber cord which should give it a little more flex and less stress on the window and motor

·
Registered
243 Posts
I replaced 1/8" thick flexible wire with a 3/32" thick rubber cord.l used a 6" diameter x 3/32" thick rubber O-ring, that I cut to
14 3/4" long pushed it place .It works just as well.
While going to work this morning on the freeway at 70 mph,the wind sound was barely there.But now that the driver side is quieter,l can here the wind from the passenger side, so I'm going to do that as well....ahh silence at last!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Wickyup2, I am prepared to do this to mine as well. Did you cover only the front vertical side of driver's window with the O-ring strip or only the horizontal top portion of the entire window? Your pictures look like just the front vertical side of the window. Does this void warranty? Will it hold up over time or eventually stretch the factory seals to where they are even worse once an O-ring rubber "Hose" is removed?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wickyup2, I am prepared to do this to mine as well. Did you cover only the front vertical side of driver's window with the O-ring strip or only the horizontal top portion of the entire window? Your pictures look like just the front vertical side of the window. Does this void warranty? Will it hold up over time or eventually stretch the factory seals to where they are even worse once an O-ring rubber "Hose" is removed?
Just the front vertical, as for the warranty take it to the dealer have them fix it .Good luck with that.How could it void a warranty that the dealership can't fix themselves.Besides the idiots at the dealer would even know if you did insert the cord.If it gets worse in time after the rubber cord is inserted, I couldn't tell you. Just keep the seals conditioned with armorall protection. The 3/32"diameter rubber cord isn't going to "stretch" out the seal, it just will push the seal tighter to the glass.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just the front vertical, as for the warranty take it to the dealer have them fix it .Good luck with that.How could it void a warranty that the dealership can't fix themselves.Besides the idiots at the dealer would even know if you did insert the cord.If it gets worse in time after the rubber cord is inserted, I couldn't tell you. Just keep the seals conditioned with armorall protection. The 3/32"diameter rubber cord isn't going to "stretch" out the seal, it just will push the seal tighter to the glass.
FYI Totally worked. Wind noise is now considerably softer. Still there but less. Honestly I think the Reaview side mirrors cause a lot of the noise. They look like bricks and doubt they are all that aero dynamic at speeds over 60 MPH.

·
Registered
782 Posts
When I tried installing a split in half O ring and pushed the window up and down, the ring got wrangled up in a wad. What is the trick to do this right with clear directions and type of O ring to use (dimensions/brand)?

·
Registered
243 Posts
When I tried installing a split in half O ring and pushed the window up and down, the ring got wrangled up in a wad. What is the trick to do this right with clear directions and type of O ring to use (dimensions/brand)?
Your installing the O ring cord in the wrong track.Go back to thread 122 / 127 and look closely

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wind Noise on Driver Side Door

I just recently bought my Renegade last week and I can hear the wind blowing through some point of my driver side window. I have pressed all over the window to see if it dissipates, but to no avail.

I do notice that when I roll up my window it seems as if it's going up to high and pushing hard on the top. And when i roll it down, it makes a somewhat loud thud sound. This doesnt happen on the other windows.

I have looked up on some forums about wind noise, but most seem to say its coming from the windshield, but I don't think my issue is the same.

Any insight?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yes, trony, there are other posts about this. I reported the same to two dealerships and their answer was it was either the roof rails or side mirror making the noise in cross winds.

121 - 140 of 153 Posts