Jeep Renegade Forum banner

141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
trony, this one still remains a mystery to me and, unfortunately, I don't have the quick fix. Others have had some success with their audible sounds but I am ready to leave this one at "parade rest" suspecting a broken play from design of the vehicle itself with those of us who have roof racks. Wish FICA could do a sound study in their engineering wind tunnels with varying speeds and directions. We all live in different dots on the world map and those dots have different road conditions and daily/seasonal wind flows. One last thing, if one does not have high cross winds in their area, the slight wind whistle will never be heard. Please keep in mind that the radio and any ventilation fan must be completely off to better hear the sounds. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have figured out where the wind noise is coming from on my driver's side door. It is the trim strip that runs between the triangular forward window and the main door window. The problem is that the dealership has replaced it once (maybe twice now) and it simply does not seat correctly on the door. It has a gap at the top and over time it pulls out further with greater wind noise as it does so. Pictures attached show the correct fitting/appearance on the pax door and the gap on my driver door. Getting tired of multiple trips to the dealer for the same problem that they apparently are not capable of repairing. Quality level in the BU is nothing at all like my XK. :-(

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks, txshelterman! I'll focus on mine from the pics you attached to see if anything similar appears. Yup, got quality issues ringing in my head again with this contraption, aka, a Jeep (Fiat) Renegade manufactured in Melfi, Italy.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Thanks, txshelterman! I'll focus on mine from the pics you attached to see if anything similar appears. Yup, got quality issues ringing in my head again with this contraption, aka, a Jeep (Fiat) Renegade manufactured in Melfi, Italy.
Contraption, it make me smile :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anybody have any experience with the Texas Lemon Law?

I'm on repair #4 now for the exact same issue and, from what I have read and been told, my 2015 Renegade now qualifies. It would be easier (and my preference) for them to replace my driver's door entirely since they cannot solve the wind noise/trim issues but it's looking like they would rather have Texas force them to buy it back.

I'm sick of scheduling useless repair trips only to have to do it again and again with zero improvement.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did 3500 miles this summer and really noticed the noise. I'll take a look at mine too. I'll put some painters tape over it to see how it changes the sound. Will help to show dealer where the problem really is.
Please post back here with any real resolution to the problem.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am inclined to be convinced this is the factory roof rails (if attached) that are causing the "wind whistle" noise at high cross winds and speeds over 60 MPH.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wind Noise Solved

Update:

After 5 or 6 attempts, my dealer FINALLY solved the wind noise mystery on my BU.

Because the trim pieces on my driver's door window would never seat properly, my dealer started checking the window track and eventually the glass. They removed the glass, compared it to the glass from another Renegade and found that it was warped (manufactured incorrectly) which forced the trim pieces out when operated. They replaced the glass and now my wind noise problem is completely solved.

What a frustrating issue that was! I am happy now that it is fixed but I wish they would have put in that level of effort on the first or second visit instead of making me go through it 5+ times and threaten legal action. For the record, Jeep customer service was absolutely useless.

:ReneBlueWave:

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Update:

After 5 or 6 attempts, my dealer FINALLY solved the wind noise mystery on my BU.

Because the trim pieces on my driver's door window would never seat properly, my dealer started checking the window track and eventually the glass. They removed the glass, compared it to the glass from another Renegade and found that it was warped (manufactured incorrectly) which forced the trim pieces out when operated. They replaced the glass and now my wind noise problem is completely solved.

What a frustrating issue that was! I am happy now that it is fixed but I wish they would have put in that level of effort on the first or second visit instead of making me go through it 5+ times and threaten legal action. For the record, Jeep customer service was absolutely useless.

:ReneBlueWave:
Glad yours is fixed and hopefully this will help others. One thing that does concern me is the fact that the customer service was again a disgrace. This is happening both in the US and UK, so I would imagine that it is happening elsewhere. Someone in the Jeep hierarchy needs to do sort something about the appalling customer service and sharpish.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Concur, kevinfourlegs. I have a suspicion that my driver's window is not 100%. Consider it is still under warranty and I found slight vertical scratches from operation up and down.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My dealer found "no issues"but replace the window seal anyway, I still hear the wind especially when there is a strong cross wind.
Let us know if the deflectors help.
Thanks
I know it's been a long time (car has been at the dealer for numerous faults which took a total of 4 1/2 months to fix) but I finally got round to fitting my Heko wind deflectors, and it made the wind noise even worse. Started getting wind noise from 40 mph, I have now removed them.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Apologies for reintroducing an old post but it offers an insight to the same issue I raised a while back. (Searching works if for no reason other than wanting a good read)

Txs and Sunseeker along with others all suffered from the Drivers window "whistling" particularly above 50mph and it becomes more pronounced under windy conditions.

I too like Sunseeker had to remove my wind deflector as my local garage intimated they were the cause. How wrong they are.

Having copied/pasted and saved Kevins resolution I will visit my local garage as soon as Coronovirus lockdown is lifted and have them fix it properly.

Until that happens I will continue with stuffing a paper tissue into the upper rear corner of the drivers door which stops around 95% of the wind noise. Only under extreme crosswinds do I now hear any whistling. :D:D:D

141 - 153 of 153 Posts