Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my little renegade last Sunday and absolutely loving it.

Looking for some advice about getting the rear windows tinted and hoping some might have had it done can put my fears to rest.

Never tinted a car before, will be getting it done professionally any ways, but worried about the fact they might have to remove trim panels to install the tints. Is this true? I'm really worried about snapped trim clips and rattles after its all been done.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Have thought about sun blinds but they look a tad naff.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Tell ya what I know. Getting what you're paying for here.

Top edge of side windows expect a 1/16 inch space between glass edge and film edge. Prevents rolling when inserting into upper guide.

Uh make sure the glass + film does not exceed state min of light transmission, not just the film.

Wont have to remove panels. They just use the flat of a putty knife to pull the rubber trim back a little bit.

And make sure the wife doesn't tap on her side window with her diamond ring saying "Look there! Look there". Diamond apparently is harder than plastic and scratches about $50 worth of tint.

Dont go cheap and get a purple tint.

But know for sure...the Renegade looks good with a tinit!

·
Registered
70 Posts
No trim has to be removed. Aside from the awkward angle of the front door frames these arent bad to tint. I had mine done after failing to get the front door done. My front doors are 20%, everything else is 5% and a 5% windshield brow. I love it and kinda wish my front doors were 5%.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
My Latitude package had the rear areas already tinted. So i had my dude do my front doors to match. It is a shade darker than legal here in CO but it looks awesome and our cops dont tend to be arseholes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Be careful depending on your location. Back when I was in high school/college I had several Mustangs with dark tint and it was never an issue. Since then a bunch of shops have had their license taken for passing inspection on vehicles with tint that was darker than the legal limit.

So while you may not get ticketed over it if the cops in your area don't push it, you may still have an impossible time getting it inspected. I know people that have theirs tinted every year and then rip it off to get it inspected, and drive right from there to get it re-tinted.

Its not worth it to me, I just had my fronts done as dark as legally passable here. The rears are tinted from the factory.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I'm based in the UK so the law states for rear windows no legal limit. Front windows have to allow in 70% light, if pulled over the police give you two choices remove the film there and then so you can continue your journey or they issue a prohibition notice basically it illegal to drive the car on the road until made road legal again. (INFO LINK)

Know what you mean about the Renegade looking good with tints - thanks for the pics. One of the reasons I'm looking at a limo or 5% tint.

Have noticed that apart from the Limited that comes with rear tints the other models don't seem to have any tint to any of the windows at all, not even a 95% for the front and 35% for rear that I had on my old Nissan Juke.

Good to know that it might just be the rubber seals that either need removing or pushing aside.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Picked my 4 x 4 Sport up about a week ago, had mine done by local DFW vendor, $250 us for tint, and an extra $50 for top shade on front window.

Top Shade looks legit, nice work they did for you there. I will get pics of mine up this afternoon.

·
Registered
519 Posts
No trim has to be removed. Aside from the awkward angle of the front door frames these arent bad to tint. I had mine done after failing to get the front door done. My front doors are 20%, everything else is 5% and a 5% windshield brow. I love it and kinda wish my front doors were 5%.
Wow that's dark!!! That would never fly in Colorado, you would get pulled over quick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies, visited a few places and spoke to the guys, selected Ultimate Tinting in Merseyside - the dealer recommended their Derby based garage but speaking to them they informed me they'll use the same materials and the lifetime guarantee with 1 free replacement.

I'm really happy with the end result too. Went for 23% tint as thought the 7% would be too much making the car to van like. Plus, was worried about night time driving too without any reversing cameras.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
I got 5% on all backs. (Black Jeep).
Now I love the look BUT you can't see **** out of the back window from evening on.

You will need a reversing cam (I fitted one myself) or drive like a 'van man' (side mirrors only).

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
It is the idiots that walk behind a reversing vehicle that irks me. You can have a reversing camera, see clearly out of the rear window, lights or an audible warning and the numb skulls still walk behind while reversing. You won't stop stupidity.

Reactions: DogsRule

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It is the idiots that walk behind a reversing vehicle that irks me. You can have a reversing camera, see clearly out of the rear window, lights or an audible warning and the numb skulls still walk behind while reversing. You won't stop stupidity.
Yup. Last week I heard in my head, "Check the camera again." and I was saved from slamming this guy into tomorrow. Turns out he escaped from a local Alzheimer's home and was looking find his way back home. They keep their angels busy. Now I just expect this everytime I go into reverse.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts