Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've cleaned and replaced alot of windshields in 40 years.

But this windshield has the darndest film on its surface. Shows when its foggy, or even wiped with water, a smeared pattern of different levels of adhesion by the water on the windshield. Looks like it was cleaned with an oily rag.

Tried everything from chemical to mechanical, glass cleaner to acetone to scratchless scouring powder. Nothing makes a difference. I'd lay off and accept it but when a bug splats, it smears on the glass and looks like a plastic overlay. Never seen glass like this. RainX just made the effect worse.

Any body seen this and have ways to clear off the windshield surface?

· Registered
236 Posts
I used RainX on my last cars windscreen for the first time. Never again.
Took weeks to 'wear off'. Was grand as long as things were dry but once i used the washer or it or it rained the windscreen became what you describe. A smeary mess.
I now only use it on mirrors and side windows.

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Mine has it a bit in one corner. You need glass cleaner that will remove plasticizing. They don't make my old standby for that anymore. If you find some, spray on rag and wipe, keep it off the dash.

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Is this only a USA issue? I ask as I haven't got this problem with mine. 2015 UK model.

Its much less pronounced than in older vehicles, and is really dependent on temp and humidity.

Its worse in summer with high humidity. The renny isn't bad, but it ships with a sticker with a number on it on the left side of the windshield. When the weather is right and the window fogs I can still read the number.

· Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For clarification, where's the problem, on the inside or outside of the windshield?
Seems to be outside, with rain, drizzle, morning dew and the first swipes of the wipers.

And I too had a sticker issue. Not the numbers but the remaining square would show with each wiper swipe.

Now mind you, I just learned they are impregnating wipers now with graphite and that may be an issue here. I have no indication of it on the jeeps, just what I hear and read from the parts stores guys at NAPA, etc.

And I'm not obsessing anymore about cleaning this one windshield as I read here I will likely get rock cracks frequently and get new windshields often anyway.

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Thanks, raz-O! I had funky, hazy film on the inside of my windshield when I first purchased. Cleaned off easy. But makes one wonder what's going on in the factory, shipment, to final delivery.

It's just plastics being plastics for the most part. It's worse if they are parked in hot weather all closed up in transit, but it beats letting the birds in.

The plastics are better these days, it just seems some of the adhesives used for the in transit packaging of the vehicle have odd effects and the specialty products that worked awesome are either illegal or no longer sold due to reduced demand from less volatile plastic compounds.

I may just have to polish the snot out of it with a microfiber towel and some solvent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.