Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How are you-all finding the windshield wipers to be on these Renegades?

We've got a 2021 Traihawk, and this is the first winter we've driven it here in Colorado.

Last week, coming back from skiing at Breckenridge... I-70 through the Eisenhower Tunnel (Continental Divide) and down to Denver; and then I-25 down to Colorado Springs; were pretty-much wet after a snowstorm the previous day. But there was a lot of snowmelt, mixed with road grime and what I assume is magnesium chloride salt. I was constantly using the windshield washer; used over a half-gallon (over 2 liters for you ROW-ers).

The wipers fortunately were clearing the left (driver's side) of the windshield OK. But the right (passenger) side was not so good -- the outside 1/3 of the swept area never got cleared of the grime and drying salt. It seemed to be a matter that the washer nozzle on that side wasn't shooting the fluid up far enough. Not a huge problem, but annoying.

And today here in Colorado Springs it's about 25F, with a freezing drizzle (kind of rare for around here). I was out driving in town, and the wipers weren't clearing the outside 1/4 of either side of the windshield very well -- the windshield would freeze there before the wipers could get the drizzle off, even with the defrost on and constantly spraying the fluid.

Right (passenger) side:

Car Land vehicle Sky Wheel Tire

Left (driver's) side:

Car Sky Motor vehicle Vehicle Road surface

I've got a new set of Bosch wiper blades that I'll try out. But if the wiper arms aren't putting enough pressure down on the outer edges...

·
Super Moderator
2,185 Posts
Blade make all the difference Stick with Bosch. I had a set of Valeo previously and they were not as good.

I also clay the windscreen one a year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It doesn’t matter if u buy Bosch, Valeo or any other brand, because it all depend on which type of rubber they buy before production.
(In means you need a little bit of luck when buying)

but cozying or polishing your windshield. Use some type of rainX or some more permanent version helps a lot.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blade make all the difference Stick with Bosch.
OK, I'll install the Bosch blades now.

I also clay the windscreen one a year.
cozying or polishing your windshield. Use some type of rainX or some more permanent version helps a lot.
I'd think the windshield should be in pretty-good shape still, after only nine months.

But Rain-X is a good idea -- I do like the stuff; and it should help with, well, rain too. :)

(As opposed to the Rain-X washer fluid, which gums up reservoir sensors -- at least in VWs...)

·
Super Moderator
2,185 Posts
I find Rain-x smears too much after a while.
I just apply it to side and rear.

The RangeRover Evoque have a factory baked coating on the windscreen and front side windows.
When you wash them the foam slides off.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find Rain-x smears too much after a while.
I just apply it to side and rear.
Interesting. When I've used Rain-X, it's always been just the opposite. I've always applied it to the windshield, so that rain beads off; and never bothered about the sides and rear where I didn't care about whether the rain beads off or not. Sometimes I'd apply it to headlights to hopefully help keep ice off.

I've never found Rain-X smearing on the windshield. It does streak a bit when applying it, and needs to be carefully buffed off (preferably after it dries). A paper towel works best.

The streaking also disappears after a few rainfalls with wiper going.

I had this same issue on mine. I had some really nice Rain-X blades and they struggled to clear the passenger side. Drove me crazy in the winter.
Well, I'll report back after I use Rain-X. Might be a while, but we'll have those same conditions here sooner or later...

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've always been a fan of the Michelin wipers.
Yeah. I think "premium" name-brand wipers (like Michelin or Bosch) are best to go with, if you don't have specific experience with a particular brand and model.

But there are so many other variables. Like, are the "Bosch" blades I'm going to be putting on here in the U.S., the same ones that Nev is getting in France? Is one specific model of Bosch blades as good as another? Michelin would be another world brand that I'd ask the same questions about.

Besides the rubber on the blades, a critical factor is how the blades distributes the pressure. And beyond that, how the wiper arms apply the pressure in the first place.

In the case of really cruddy conditions (like road-salt spray), a factor would be how the washers spray.

And of course environmental conditions. I've never had a problem with rain, and the OEM wipers are still wiping well and streak-free in the rain.

I think we've all seen that cheapie generic blades from the auto parts store don't necessarily work well in the best conditions...

·
Registered
5 Posts
We were having a problem with the outer edge of the passenger side wiper freezing up and not clearing about a 1/4 of the passenger side windshield. After seeing several people with the same problem we switched from a 20 inch blade to a 18 inch blade on the passenger side. Problem solved and the wipers work great in all weather. We live in northern Vermont so we got a lot of snow and freezing temps.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we switched from a 20 inch blade to a 18 inch blade on the passenger side. Problem solved
OK, that's interesting. The area the blades weren't clearing well (with freezing precipitation or road salt spray) is about 6" across. So a 2" shorter blade distributed the blade's pressure enough to help?

Does the smaller area being cleared bother you?

Like I said, there's no issue at all in the rain. Maybe this is something I need to consider just for the winter months...

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, that's interesting. The area the blades weren't clearing well (with freezing precipitation or road salt spray) is about 6" across. So a 2" shorter blade distributed the blade's pressure enough to help?

Does the smaller area being cleared bother you?

Like I said, there's no issue at all in the rain. Maybe this is something I need to consider just for the winter months...
The smaller area is not a concern. It’s barely noticeable. We kept our other blades and plan to use them in the warmer weather. We also made sure to get “real” winter blades and replaced both. 22” for the drivers side and 18” on the passenger side. We have a 2018 Renegade Trailhawk.

·
Registered
2019 Renegade Trailhawk
60 Posts
No complaints so far. I have the original wiper blades on my 2019 as far as I know. I'm in Dillon for a while and skiing at Copper Mountain—so the same roads. I run the defroster on high and it is melting ice all across the windshield.
The rear wiper, on the other hand, seems to make as much of a mess as it clears. In cold weather like this the fluid line freezes up anyway so I have given up on that.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No complaints so far. I have the original wiper blades on my 2019 as far as I know. I'm in Dillon for a while and skiing at Copper Mountain—so the same roads. I run the defroster on high and it is melting ice all across the windshield.
The rear wiper, on the other hand, seems to make as much of a mess as it clears. In cold weather like this the fluid line freezes up anyway so I have given up on that.
Well, I'm not sure how typical that particular drive home from Breckenridge was. It was sunny, just above freezing, there was snowmelt all over I-70 and I-25, and definitely salt -- weird-tasting -- I assume magnesium chloride. The salt spray would evaporate off the windshield almost instantly, before the wiper on that side could clear it off; leaving a light-brown layer on the glass that was not at all transparent. And the washer spray wasn't reaching up far enough to the outside of the passenger's swept area to dissolve it. I've never seen the road and salt spray problem that bad. But the issue wasn't ice on that trip.

But last week, almost the same effect with freezing rain. Though now that I think about it, I didn't have the defrost on for that -- it might've helped. Still, I would have expected the washer fluid to help with the icing... but again the washer wasn't spraying up far enough.

I definitely agree with you regarding the disappointing rear wiper and washer. Again, the washer doesn't spray effectively.

·
Registered
41 Posts

We've got a 2021 Traihawk, and this is the first winter we've driven it here in Colorado.

Last week, coming back from skiing at Breckenridge... I-70 through the Eisenhower Tunnel (Continental Divide) and down to Denver; and then I-25 down to Colorado Springs; were pretty-much wet after a snowstorm the previous day. But there was a lot of snowmelt, mixed with road grime and what I assume is magnesium chloride salt. I was constantly using the windshield washer; used over a half-gallon (over 2 liters for you ROW-ers).

The wipers fortunately were clearing the left (driver's side) of the windshield OK. But the right (passenger) side was not so good -- the outside 1/3 of the swept area never got cleared of the grime and drying salt. It seemed to be a matter that the washer nozzle on that side wasn't shooting the fluid up far enough. Not a huge problem, but annoying.

And today here in Colorado Springs it's about 25F, with a freezing drizzle (kind of rare for around here). I was out driving in town, and the wipers weren't clearing the outside 1/4 of either side of the windshield very well -- the windshield would freeze there before the wipers could get the drizzle off, even with the defrost on and constantly spraying the fluid.

Right (passenger) side:

View attachment 2396353226

Left (driver's) side:

View attachment 2396353227

I've got a new set of Bosch wiper blades that I'll try out. But if the wiper arms aren't putting enough pressure down on the outer edges...
I have that problem. Let me know if the Bosch wipers work better. 👍

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have that problem. Let me know if the Bosch wipers work better. 👍
Is your problem with salt road spray, or freezing rain? Or both?

Well, I think I'll try both the Rain-X, and the Bosch blades -- with a shorter 18" on the passenger side.

I know, using the scientific method, you're only supposed to change one variable at a time -- otherwise you won't know which one made an improvement, if only one.

But I really don't want another experience like that driving in the mountains in winter...

Having had experience with Rain-X, I know -- if applied correctly -- it'll bead up rain (or road spray) and "blow" it off the windshield before the wipers even have a chance to wipe it. Should prevent salt spray from flash-drying.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is your problem with salt road spray, or freezing rain? Or both?

Well, I think I'll try both the Rain-X, and the Bosch blades -- with a shorter 18" on the passenger side.

I know, using the scientific method, you're only supposed to change one variable at a time -- otherwise you won't know which one made an improvement, if only one.

But I really don't want another experience like that driving in the mountains in winter...

Having had experience with Rain-X, I know -- if applied correctly -- it'll bead up rain (or road spray) and "blow" it off the windshield before the wipers even have a chance to wipe it. Should prevent salt spray from flash-drying.
Salty roads. No trouble with freezing, I have the cold weather package. So that seems to help.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Some years ago I began to notice that wipers all sucked - they didn't last and they chattered in the cold. All of them, regardless of brand or cost. It was a marked change from when I was younger, and I suspect it's some change in rubber formulation, etc.

I started using Rain-X again, beginning with the wipe on stuff. In more recent years I've gone to the Rain-X orange wiper fluid. I buy cheap wiper blades and replace them more often because they won't last anyway.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts