Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have the cold weather package. So that seems to help.
What did that package consist of? And how would it help regarding the windshield wipers?

In more recent years I've gone to the Rain-X orange wiper fluid.
Careful with that stuff. At least in Mk5 VWs, it would clog up the sensor in the windshield washer reservoir...

I find Rain-x smears too much after a while.
I just applied Rain-X, and now I remember the problem with it. The smearing (visible residue) after it's applied. Even after polishing it with paper towels, I could still see the smearing.

So I then I cleaned the windshield with glass cleaner, and that seemed to take care of the smearing. I believe the Rain-X protection is still there. I seem to remember that running the wipers int he rain would get rid of the smearing too, without getting rid of the Rain-X beading effect.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What did that package consist of? And how would it help regarding the windshield wipers?

Careful with that stuff. At least in Mk5 VWs, it would clog up the sensor in the windshield washer reservoir...

I just applied Rain-X, and now I remember the problem with it. The smearing (visible residue) after it's applied. Even after polishing it with paper towels, I could still see the smearing.

So I then I cleaned the windshield with glass cleaner, and that seemed to take care of the smearing. I believe the Rain-X protection is still there. I seem to remember that running the wipers int he rain would get rid of the smearing too, without getting rid of the Rain-X beading effect.

Cold weather package consist of heated front windshield for when ur wipers are in rest location. And gives u heated seats and steering wheel. I think remote start too but not sure on that. Really worth it. One of my favorite features on my car especially right when it is -1*F right now. Warmed my car up in 10 minutes and feels good on my back and hands after a long day at work.

·
Registered
232 Posts

The Cold Weather package has an auxiliary electric heater that helps warm up the car before the engine gets hot. The only thing it would help in regard to wipers would be to warm the windshield (in defrost) and maybe help prevent crappy wipers from chattering, or allow them to better conform to the windshield - but it's not really that hot. Oh, and it has a windshield de-icer. I love the Cold Weather package!

Cold Weather Group:
All-Season Floor Mats
Heated Front Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Auxiliary Interior Heater
Windshield Wiper De-Icer

I wonder about clogging the sensor - I've used it on quite a few vehicles for years with no issues. Fords, Fiat, Jeep, Chevys, Hyundais, etc. Then again I forbid anyone in my family from owning a VW, or rather I told them I would never work on it!

The Rain-X washer fluid doesn't have the smearing problem that the wipe on stuff does when it gets old. It still gives that beading so I often don't need the wipers, and it helps stop the chattering problem in colder weather by adding some lubrication.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Cold Weather package has an auxiliary electric heater that helps warm up the car before the engine gets hot. The only thing it would help in regard to wipers would be to warm the windshield (in defrost) and maybe help prevent crappy wipers from chattering, or allow them to better conform to the windshield - but it's not really that hot. Oh, and it has a windshield de-icer. I love the Cold Weather package!

Cold Weather Group:
All-Season Floor Mats
Heated Front Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Auxiliary Interior Heater
Windshield Wiper De-Icer

I wonder about clogging the sensor - I've used it on quite a few vehicles for years with no issues. Fords, Fiat, Jeep, Chevys, Hyundais, etc. Then again I forbid anyone in my family from owning a VW, or rather I told them I would never work on it!

The Rain-X washer fluid doesn't have the smearing problem that the wipe on stuff does when it gets old. It still gives that beading so I often don't need the wipers, and it helps stop the chattering problem in colder weather by adding some lubrication.
I didn’t know about the auxiliary interior heater. No wonder it feels warm in the car even when the engine isn’t warm. Cool. Much better explanation than I had. Thanks for the info. 👍

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The only thing it would help in regard to wipers would be to warm the windshield (in defrost) and maybe help prevent crappy wipers from chattering, or allow them to better conform to the windshield - but it's not really that hot. Oh, and it has a windshield de-icer.
OK, so the cold weather package will pre-warm the windshield (along with the rest of the interior). And it has I assume electrical wires in the glass, just in the wiper area at rest; to prevent the blades from freezing to the glass. Those might indeed help marginally.

The Rain-X washer fluid doesn't have the smearing problem that the wipe on stuff does when it gets old.
The issue I've always seen with the wipe-on Rain-X is just the opposite -- it leaves a film ("smearing") after you first apply it, even after trying to polish it out. Later on it's just fine.

After applying (and polishing) it yesterday, I could still see the residue. So today I cleaned the windshield (and rear window and headlights) with a bit of Windex on a paper towel, and that seems to have gotten rid of the residue. Again, I've always found that the desirable Rain-X beading effect is still there, even with that residue removed. We shall see.

I forbid anyone in my family from owning a VW
Ha! I actually like VWs. I understand the way they're designed (like how the electrical connectors disconnect, etc.). Yes, they're often over-engineered, the switches are a bit fragile, and it's a challenge to get to some components. The issue with Rain-X fluid screwing up the sensor has been very common -- causes a low fluid warning even when the reservoir is full. But it's not a hard-kill -- the sensor cleans right off.

But if you don't force things, keep up on the maintenance, and use the correct fluids, you just can't beat the drivability experience for the money.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ha! I actually like VWs. I understand the way they're designed (like how the electrical connectors disconnect, etc.). Yes, they're often over-engineered, the switches are a bit fragile, and it's a challenge to get to some components. The issue with Rain-X fluid screwing up the sensor has been very common -- causes a low fluid warning even when the reservoir is full. But it's not a hard-kill -- the sensor cleans right off.

But if you don't force things, keep up on the maintenance, and use the correct fluids, you just can't beat the drivability experience for the money.
While they're otherwise nice cars, my issue with VWs is the blatant disregard for serviceability. It's like they just don't bother with that development step. I've seen things like coil packs that could easily have been moved over 4" to be accessible, but no - just go ahead and remove that intake to get to it.....

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
While they're otherwise nice cars, my issue with VWs is the blatant disregard for serviceability.
We're going off-topic a bit, but that's fine.

What you say isn't the case with all VWs. The ignition coils on our two 2009 Mk5's (Jetta and GLI) are very easy to get to. You just have to pop off the plastic engine cover, and there the coils are. The tricky thing is disconnecting the wire-loom connectors from the coil packs; but that's no problem if you understand how VW connectors work -- and that you have to lever the coil packs up about a half-inch first to have clearance to remove the connectors. All a matter of technique.

I have to admit, having to remove an intake to get to coil packs (and therefore spark plugs?) is pretty stupid. Which engine?

On my GLI with the TSI 2.0 turbo engine, the oil filter is right there at the top of the engine. So even with the slightly-lowered suspension, oil changes are extremely easy -- I can reach the drain plug from the front without lifting the car.

On my wife's 2.5 Jetta, you have to remove the aerodynamic cover under the engine and crawl under the front of the car to get to the conventionally-located filter. Still do-able without lifting, but more of a pain -- not to mention spilled oil. (Not as bad as with a Mk3 VW...)

I've got a 2021 Trailhawk, with the OEM steel skid plate under the engine. The skid plate has to be completely removed to get to the oil drain and filter, which doesn't strike me as very DIY-friendly. That's why I'm having a Valkyrie skid plate installed, with access panels.

·
Registered
232 Posts
We're going off-topic a bit, but that's fine.

What you say isn't the case with all VWs. The ignition coils on our two 2009 Mk5's (Jetta and GLI) are very easy to get to. You just have to pop off the plastic engine cover, and there the coils are. The tricky thing is disconnecting the wire-loom connectors from the coil packs; but that's no problem if you understand how VW connectors work -- and that you have to lever the coil packs up about a half-inch first to have clearance to remove the connectors. All a matter of technique.

I have to admit, having to remove an intake to get to coil packs (and therefore spark plugs?) is pretty stupid. Which engine?

On my GLI with the TSI 2.0 turbo engine, the oil filter is right there at the top of the engine. So even with the slightly-lowered suspension, oil changes are extremely easy -- I can reach the drain plug from the front without lifting the car.

On my wife's 2.5 Jetta, you have to remove the aerodynamic cover under the engine and crawl under the front of the car to get to the conventionally-located filter. Still do-able without lifting, but more of a pain -- not to mention spilled oil. (Not as bad as with a Mk3 VW...)

I've got a 2021 Trailhawk, with the OEM steel skid plate under the engine. The skid plate has to be completely removed to get to the oil drain and filter, which doesn't strike me as very DIY-friendly. That's why I'm having a Valkyrie skid plate installed, with access panels.
I dunno what model year it was, some 4cyl Jetta a friend at work had. Nothing special. It seemed like it was the same every time he had to work on it. On top of that the parts costs were insane, at least at that time. Anyway, it was just a passing joke, not worth pursing too far. I've admired VW styling and performance, just didn't want to deal with that,

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I dunno what model year it was, some 4cyl Jetta a friend at work had.
Interesting what that might have been. How long ago, and about how old? We had a 1997 Mk3 Jetta that had the 2.0L four-cylinder engine, but it had a normal coil (not individual for each spark plug). Spark plugs came out "normally." That engine carried over into the Mk4's up to about 2005.

In the Mk5's (2005.5-2010), the coils in the 2.5L five-cylinder engines that the "normal" Jettas had -- like my wife's -- were readily accessible.

Same for the Mk5's with the 2.0L turbo engines, which had four cylinders -- like my GLI.

That carried over for at least one more generation. Not sure what's up now...

Yeah, OEM VW parts are pretty expensive. Interestingly, in Europe (where we lived for many years), VW parts were only about 2/3 the price compared to here. But great-quality aftermarket parts were always readily available -- often from the same manufacturers (Siemens, Bosch, Hella...) It'll be interesting to see how much OEM parts will be for these Renegades, with the aftermarket not seeming to be as extensive...

·
Registered
232 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how much OEM parts will be for these Renegades, with the aftermarket not seeming to be as extensive...
It will be interesting to see what the parts supply for automobiles will be period, given the supply chain issues. I don't see those getting better any time soon, and they may get a lot worse. It may become quite difficult to keep a vehicle running, and I'm glad I know my way around a junkyard!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It may become quite difficult to keep a vehicle running, and I'm glad I know my way around a junkyard!
Well, I don't know my way around a junkyard. :( I've always gone for new OEM parts, or good aftermarket equivalents (not Chinese no-name knock-offs -- understanding that some excellent OEM parts are made in China).

That's the other good thing about VWs... They tend to offer a limited number of engines in the North American market; and those engines basically carry over, with some modifications, to subsequent model cars. So keeping an engine running isn't that difficult. Not sure how that's going to be with my Trailhawk's 1.3T engine.

Body and interior parts? Like with other brands, good luck finding those OEM after about a decade...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts