Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 fog lights attached to my bull bar that have a push button that I ran into the cab of my Renegade.
I've more than once drained my battery forgetting to turn them off.
Is it possible to wire them to the headlights exclusively

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
why don't you change the button to one that has a light on it ??
i would check to see how much amperage increase would be to the head lights wiring. would probably have to increase the fuse size also. doing this means the fog lights are on at the same time the headlights go on, this what you looking for?

·
Registered
283 Posts
would probably have to increase the fuse size also.
No. Don't do that unless you want to melt or burn up the wiring. The fuses are rated for maximum amps for any particular circuit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. Don't do that unless you want to melt or burn up the wiring. The fuses are rated for maximum amps for any particular circuit.
How would I go about wiring the fogs to the headlights, so they turn on and off with them?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why don't you change the button to one that has a light on it ??
i would check to see how much amperage increase would be to the head lights wiring. would probably have to increase the fuse size also. doing this means the fog lights are on at the same time the headlights go on, this what you looking for?
It is what I'm looking for, I'd like for them to turn off and on simultaneously

·
Registered
680 Posts
Regards loads you can just use a relay to operate in series with your existing fog light wiring, so the relay enables/disables them and the button controls them.

It can be tricky to use the headlights since they are usually 2 or more circuits for dip and main with control via electronics, so there may not be a 'headlight' wire to pick up.
For what you describe I'd just run the relay from an 'ignition' feed, so when you turn the car off the relay drops out and kills the fogs. Battery saved :)

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
I'll second mike in dp.

The way to do it is keep you switch, but wire in a relay so that the relay switch and manual switch are wired in series. I.e. both have to be closed for power to reach the fogs. Then pull signal for the solenoid from a switched wire or fuse socket.

This way they obey your interior switch, but shut off with the ignition.

Make sure you get a relay rated for enough amps to run the lights.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It is what I'm looking for, I'd like for them to turn off and on simultaneously

just splice in the hot side of the fog lights to the hot side of the headlight near the plug. i think you will smell wires burning when you turn them on---pretty sure you will over load the circuit
I would just move the existing switch higher on your dash, already wired in and working well. you could turn off your headlight delay time to zero then you would know they are on

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'll second mike in dp.

The way to do it is keep you switch, but wire in a relay so that the relay switch and manual switch are wired in series. I.e. both have to be closed for power to reach the fogs. Then pull signal for the solenoid from a switched wire or fuse socket.

This way they obey your interior switch, but shut off with the ignition.

Make sure you get a relay rated for enough amps to run the lights.
good answer--- not for the novice

·
Registered
132 Posts
you are right, then he will be scratching his head trying to figure out why he is blowing fuses. i would throw in another fuse in line with the change to protect the main circuit

·
Registered
283 Posts
How would I go about wiring the fogs to the headlights, so they turn on and off with them?

If I'm not mistaken, there is a Mopar fog light kit to install. Then all you have to do is have the computer flashed to recognize the lights. That would be the proper and safe way to install the lights. No aftermarket switches, relays, or wiring to cause problems. These electrical systems are fragile enough without adding aftermarket accessories.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 3 fog lights attached to my bull bar that have a push button that I ran into the cab of my Renegade.
I've more than once drained my battery forgetting to turn them off.
Is it possible to wire them to the headlights exclusively

I would just add an alarm that tells you the fog lights are on when you turn off the key.

Here's a video someone did for their headlights.

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts