Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in my Renegade this morning, lights came on, I locked my automatic doors, but when I pushed the start button, nothing happened. The lights didn't dim, it just didn't start. So I tried again and still no start but my dash went crazy - check airbag, check transmission, something about the engine, my gas light came on (full tank) - it literally cycled through all the warning lights and then they all stayed on. After a minute or two all the lights went out except for my headlights which were now very dim. None of the interior lights came back on but it took a few minutes for the headlights to completely go out.
I'm hoping it's just the battery but I've never had a battery die like this, and all the service lights are freaking me out. Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
2017 renegade trailhawk 9 spd auto glacier metallic, preferred package 27E
532 Posts
I got in my Renegade this morning, lights came on, I locked my automatic doors, but when I pushed the start button, nothing happened. The lights didn't dim, it just didn't start. So I tried again and still no start but my dash went crazy - check airbag, check transmission, something about the engine, my gas light came on (full tank) - it literally cycled through all the warning lights and then they all stayed on. After a minute or two all the lights went out except for my headlights which were now very dim. None of the interior lights came back on but it took a few minutes for the headlights to completely go out.
I'm hoping it's just the battery but I've never had a battery die like this, and all the service lights are freaking me out. Anyone else have this happen?
replace battery---normal crap the renegade does when battery fails

·
Registered
991 Posts
There may be other vehicles that I'm not aware of that go bat crap crazy when the battery gets weak like the Renegade. This is the only vehicle I've owned that when the battery gets weak that instead of it just doing the low "whir-whir" when trying to start instead it gives the butt-puckering slot-machine-winning light show on the dash. You half expect to hear DING DING DING and have quarters fall on your feet.

As an added benefit, if you keep trying to start it with a weak battery, there's a good chance it'll confuse the computer requiring a trip to the dealer for a reset.

I treat this vehicle like I do my home smoke detectors. I replace the batteries in the heads once a year, I don't wait for them to beep on low battery. With this vehicle, I will replace the battery every 3 years without waiting the the low whir-whir. It's just not worth the added worry trying to squeak another year out of the existing battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts