Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Installed New Cabin Air Filter 2016 Renegade. "Worst" Looking Filter in All My 30 Years of Working on "Anything" Installed "New" Arm & Hammer Filter With Febreeze. Couldn't Tell Any Difference of Any Kind of Pleasant Odor With It. Don't Waste Your Money.

****My Question Is??? Does Anyone Know Where This Cabin Air Filter Gets It's "Outside" Air From. And How Can All These Contaminants Get In It??? Any Info Will Be Appreciated

**** See Photo Attached****

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Cabin air on all (AFAIK) cars comes from an intake at the bottom of the windscreen.
Various reasons that this is a good place but on the bad side it is of course where leaves, etc, tend to collect.

·
Super Moderator
1,452 Posts
On other cars I fitted plastic chicken wire beneath the scuttle grills to stop large debris getting down there. (Just using zip ties.)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thats clean compared to some others I've changed, work in a small shop. I've seen them half gone, chewed. Plugged SOLID with mouse pee/poop. And nests on top that were so big they took up the heater box.

On the plus side, the filter is doing it's job! all of that crap would have been in the cabin if the filter hadn't taken it out. :) All of those 'contaminants' are in the air you breathe.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I posted elsewhere about the filth on my cabin air filter, but my post was about the dealer saying all filters were changed (I bought a used 2017 in Sep 2018). I do not trust what dealers say at all, so I replaced my air filter with a K&N, the stock filter was sorta clean so that raised concerns about my cabin air filter. If the easy-to-change air filter was dirty, I had serious doubts about the cabin air filter being changed. I was right. I don't think my cabin air filter was ever changed and when I purchased, it had 42k on the odo. I thought of going back to the dealer and show the filter and request a refund on the filter I bought, but never did. He told me it was changed, nothing written down. I had no case. So much for "Certified Pre-Owned". That means nothing.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
So much for "Certified Pre-Owned". That means nothing.
The bottom left corner of the (allegedly) "dirty" filter has a little bit of what might have been white showing.
You're totally good for another 25,000 miles with that one.

Besides, the CPO checklist says "Inspect air filter", it doesn't say anything about "replace if dirty".
He DID inspect it, it was dirty and beyond its useful life, but no one said, "hey, idiot service tech, REPLACE the dirty filter".

Clearly, your expectations are too high. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts