Jeep Renegade Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking about trading in my Renegade for a wrangler.

Dont get me wrong, I love my renegade, no complaints. What attracted me was the fuel efficiency and the looks. Ive always liked wranglers, but the MPG never put them on my radar as Ive always been accustom to small cars and living in the city. The MPG isnt really as big of issue to me anymore.

Anyways, love the idea of driving around with the roof off and doors off on wranglers. Im entertaining the idea of a 2 door sport wrangler, the 4 door would be better, but Im not big on paying that price and losing the MPG, the 2 door prices are a little more reasonable to give up the MPG. Ive got 2 small children, but my wife mostly drives the kids around in the minivan.

Would I miss the MPG? the 2 extra doors? thoughts? experiences?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have both and I love my 2-door wrangler, but I'll be honest, it's probably going to sit more now than ever with having the renegade. The gas mileage and comfort level in the Reney is too good. The wrangler will be used for off road, driving when it's nice enough to put the top down and have fun, maybe for really bad weather conditions, and various other times. However, that's not enough times to really warrant it for you in my opinion, but the heart wants what the heart wants, and if you want one, get one. My only thought now is that you probably haven't had the Renegade long enough that trading it in is going to cost you quite a bit. Trade in the minivan, give the wife the Renegade and boom, you got both.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ive been thinking about trading in my Renegade for a wrangler.

Anyways, love the idea of driving around with the roof off and doors off on wranglers. Im entertaining the idea of a 2 door sport wrangler, the 4 door would be better, but Im not big on paying that price and losing the MPG, the 2 door prices are a little more reasonable to give up the MPG.
In my opinion, if you are/were thinking the 4 door wrangler, I'd go with that. I'm more an aesthetics type person, and IMHO, the 4 door wrangler looks much better. I think if you do trade, you'll probably kick yourself in the butt for getting the 2 door.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Keep the Renegade. Buy an older Wrangler that isn't all rotted out and keep it for those times when you want to drive around with the doors off. You can lift it and do other mods to your heart's content and still have a safe, comfortable vehicle for the vast majority of your transportation needs.

The climate in Hamilton is similar to what we have in Michigan and the reality is that there are only so many days in the year when a topless Jeep is a practical vehicle.

I keep a 1952 M38A1 for fun driving. I usually take it on the backroads and seldom drive over 30 mph.... Driving in the open air is great, just not at highway speeds for any length of time :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have both and I love my 2-door wrangler, but I'll be honest, it's probably going to sit more now than ever with having the renegade. The gas mileage and comfort level in the Reney is too good. The wrangler will be used for off road, driving when it's nice enough to put the top down and have fun, maybe for really bad weather conditions, and various other times. However, that's not enough times to really warrant it for you in my opinion, but the heart wants what the heart wants, and if you want one, get one. My only thought now is that you probably haven't had the Renegade long enough that trading it in is going to cost you quite a bit. Trade in the minivan, give the wife the Renegade and boom, you got both.

very interesting... so you find the MPG and comfort to be that stark of a difference. something to think deeper about for me. I expected a difference but not as vast.

One of the other things is, the luster of the uniqueness of the Renegade is wearing off.

But another good point by Oldav8tor with the number of days driving with the doors off is limited in my city.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Have you figured out how much you would lose with a trade in? With the Renegade the MySky/power sunroof is at least some kind of alternative if you just can't do Wrangler. Could you imagine the sales if they just put in a more fuel efficient engine? Maybe you should try a lease with the trade in loss money and also you mentioned the luster of vehicle wearing off. If you read around, FCA is coming out w a new Wrangler in 2017, while continuing the old style.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the slight variations with the wranglers over the years is minimal to me. They look the same to me...

The trade in value I'm not too concerned with if I can land a bare bones wrangler and have my monthly payments go up by $50...

I dont need bells and whistles, I personally like the look of the 2 door ones over the 4 door.

the mysky was nice and all, but, I didnt think it warranted the price increase for how much i enjoyed it.

Im in the stage of buying a newer house and I dont think ill be buying something with room for 3 vehicles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Love my Renegade TH but also love the 2-door Wranglers. I am an all around auto-enthusiast and it's really about what YOU want. I mean, creature comforts, MPG, and all that BS aside...if you want it, and like it, and will drive it....just go buy it! I have a 2007 Shelby GT500 that is in NO WAY practical. It makes ~700ish HP and gets GALLONS to the mile, but I drive it everywhere, it used to be my daily! If you dig the look of the 2door Wrangler and like you said, the "luster" of the Renegade is wearing off, go for it. You gotta be happy in what you're driving!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
talked to my sales person. Suffice to say he laughed. lol... the bullet I would have to bite is not that appealing to switch to say the least lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
I traded in my Trailhawk for a 2 door 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with 10,300 miles on it. It looks brand new - it's like the previous owner just kept it in his/her garage all these years. I started negotiations on Sunday and signed the paperwork on Wednesday. Stick to the price you're willing to pay OTD. Draw up best case scenarios and worst case scenarios with what you're willing to pay. I work with numbers for a living so that helped a lot. The trick is to be indifferent. AND luck with a green sales person. Be calm and respectful - it's a game.

In any case, The Wrangler drives like a truck, so it drives like crap compared to the Renegade and my previous Toyota FR-S, but I love it! My target was a Rubicon and I wasn't willing to compromise.

It doesn't hurt that I live close to work, so I can just ride my bicycle to save gas.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wranglers are a dime a dozen. They are for sale everywhere. You should be able to find a good used one. Take your Renegade to Carmax for a quick sale. From my experience they give you the going rate for the vehicle and it is quick an painless. I would sale a vehicle there but would never purchase. They have high prices and they do not negotiate!!!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
very interesting... so you find the MPG and comfort to be that stark of a difference. something to think deeper about for me. I expected a difference but not as vast.
Comfort. Yes. The MPG, not as much as I had originally thought. My Wrangler is an I6 and got, at best, 17 MPG on the highway during my 400 mile trips. I've only had my TH for less than a month now, and at the time I wrote my reply, had expected to get the advertised 21city/29highway MPG. That must be calculated all downhill, as I only got about 24 highway on the same 400 mile trip, and getting 19 with suburban driving. I don't do city driving, so I can't remark on it.

Newer wranglers may do better, as mine is a 2003 TJ model. I'm sure they've gotten more comfortable and with more bells and whistles now, but I like having my older jeep that's not driven by so much computerized software.

Reactions: Sarapdot

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did the opposite

I traded in my 2014 Wrangler Unlimited in for a 2016 Renegade Limited. I always wanted a Wrangler, got one and it was just too big for me. I'm getting older and I guess my eyesight is getting bad but I backed into 2 cars and then made a U-turn and took the running board off the drivers side when I ran into a yellow sign. AUGH.

Their is nothing I miss about the Wrangler. It was fun. I had the hard top and soft top. Got a lift to take the hard top off. Used the soft top one season. Pain in the neck to take off and on. You have to have help.

The Renegade gets better mileage, has much more "stuff", I did get the back up camera. Love all the features. I like the hatch that goes up instead of opening like a door. I had to have the garage door open to open the hatch on the Wrangler.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.