Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really thinking about getting a Wrangler. I have 2021 Rene TH. I just don’t know how capable it is. I am not looking to go rock crawling or anything like that, but I want to make sure that when I go trailing for the first time and in the future that I can make it through a trail and not have to turn around. I would like to start off roading 2-4 times a month. What do I do? Any advice will appreciated!! Thanks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
For typical trail rides the Renegade TH does great. Biggest impact you can make on off-road capabilities would be to upgrade to some good All-Terrain tires. And if you think you need a bit more ground clearance, a 2" lift will help get you a little more room underneath. Is it as good as a 4x4 Wrangler? Not really, but like you said, if you're not rock crawling it really should be fine. The biggest advantage of the Wrangler over the Rene is the ground clearance and the obscene amount of aftermarket parts available for it. The Wrangler has way more support when it comes to 3rd party off-road parts. Which mean if you do want to get into some serious trails later, you have a platform that can be modified to match the terrain. The Renegade probably has less 3rd party support now than it did a even two years ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My daughter owns a 2020 Renegade TH and we went to Jeep Academy at the Southwest Missouri Off Road Ranch in April. When we pulled up it was just us, one Cherokee TH and a ton of Wranglers and Gladiators. Everyone laughed when they announced the Rennie was here. By the end of the day they were applauding my daughter and were completely amazed that her stock Renegade did everything, and I mean everything, their modified Wranglers and Gladiators did. We climbed vertical hills, drive through creeks, dropped off ledges into water and everything. The video we have is amazing to watch. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE what these trail rated Jeeps are capable of. In the end we had a great time and I would not sweat taking her car almost anywhere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My daughter owns a 2020 Renegade TH and we went to Jeep Academy at the Southwest Missouri Off Road Ranch in April. When we pulled up it was just us, one Cherokee TH and a ton of Wranglers and Gladiators. Everyone laughed when they announced the Rennie was here. By the end of the day they were applauding my daughter and were completely amazed that her stock Renegade did everything, and I mean everything, their modified Wranglers and Gladiators did. We climbed vertical hills, drive through creeks, dropped off ledges into water and everything. The video we have is amazing to watch. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE what these trail rated Jeeps are capable of. In the end we had a great time and I would not sweat taking her car almost anywhere.
I would love to see that video! Thank u for replying.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I am really thinking about getting a Wrangler. I have 2021 Rene TH. I just don’t know how capable it is. I am not looking to go rock crawling or anything like that, but I want to make sure that when I go trailing for the first time and in the future that I can make it through a trail and not have to turn around. I would like to start off roading 2-4 times a month. What do I do? Any advice will appreciated!! Thanks.
That can happen no mater what kind of vehicle you drive or how its equipped. Just carry basic tools like shovel axe saw tow straps 2, tire pump, spare tire, welding gloves, water, food, tarp. I used to have winches comealongs widow maker jacks etc. but never used any of it for me just for others so stopped carrying it. I learned if in doubt get out and walk the tough spot before you get stuck<smile>. Don't get me wrong i have been stuck but if you know not to go crazy reving engine spinning tires you will usually find it easy to get going again. If you high center the only way out is to jack up eACH WHEEL AND PUT STUFF UNDER THEM UNTILL YOU ARE NO LONGER HIGH CENTERED THEN GENTLYH pull out. Sorry for that cap lock key;)
:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
That can happen no mater what kind of vehicle you drive or how its equipped. Just carry basic tools like shovel axe saw tow straps 2, tire pump, spare tire, welding gloves, water, food, tarp. I used to have winches comealongs widow maker jacks etc. but never used any of it for me just for others so stopped carrying it. I learned if in doubt get out and walk the tough spot before you get stuck<smile>. Don't get me wrong i have been stuck but if you know not to go crazy reving engine spinning tires you will usually find it easy to get going again. If you high center the only way out is to jack up eACH WHEEL AND PUT STUFF UNDER THEM UNTILL YOU ARE NO LONGER HIGH CENTERED THEN GENTLYH pull out. Sorry for that cap lock key;)
:)
Good advice! And don't forget the cardinal rule of off-roading: Don't go alone!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Where are you planning on going off-roading?

I've found our 2021 Renegade Trailhawk to be perfectly capable for where we've been taking it here in the Colorado Rockies. Yes, I've put decent all-terrain tires on it.

See the later part of my thread for trip reports with photos -- dispersed primitive camping and backpacking:

New Trailhawk Is Finally Here | Jeep Renegade Forum

·
Registered
514 Posts
Where are you planning on going off-roading?

I've found our 2021 Renegade Trailhawk to be perfectly capable for where we've been taking it here in the Colorado Rockies. Yes, I've put decent all-terrain tires on it.

See the later part of my thread for trip reports with photos -- dispersed primitive camping and backpacking:

New Trailhawk Is Finally Here | Jeep Renegade Forum
your right. chuckle...buying a bigger gun isn't going to protect you any better than a small one. First you must take the time to learn how to use the one you have properly then think of going bigger if needed.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
your right. chuckle...buying a bigger gun isn't going to protect you any better than a small one. First you must take the time to learn how to use the one you have properly then think of going bigger if needed.
Not too sure I agree with that.... I would definitely grab my .45 Colt 1911 over my Walther .22....lol

But I get your point.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Like they say... One good hit with a .22 is better than two misses with a .45...

But we digress...

What I'd say to the OP is, you've got a Trailhawk, which is a very capable offroad vehicle. Try taking it offroad, gradually; and see whether it meets your needs. I'll bet it will.

With decent offroad tires...

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
785 Posts
I would take the Renee out and make a few runs on the trails. I bet you’ll be happy with the outcome!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I drive both a 2017 Rene TH and a 2021 2dr Wrangler. Unless you're planning to tackle very difficult trails like the Badge of Honor trails in Moab, your TH will handle plenty of off roading with capability to spare. Especially if you put some better tires on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I drive both a 2017 Rene TH and a 2021 2dr Wrangler. Unless you're planning to tackle very difficult trails like the Badge of Honor trails in Moab, your TH will handle plenty of off roading with capability to spare. Especially if you put some better tires on it.
Been looking for tires. What do u recommend? Should I get a lift? If so, what do u recommend? Thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
What OEM tires do you have on it now? I think these days they're been putting Falken WildPeak H/Ts on -- which despite what Jeep claims, are not really on/off-road tires

Falken WildPeak H/T HT01A | 215/65R17 (tirerack.com)

I got a bit of a credit for those when I had the dealer take them off, and had Falken WildPeak A/T Trails put on. Not a real aggressive offroad tread, but -- face it -- most of the driving we do in on-road.

Falken WildPeak A/T Trail | 215/65R17 (tirerack.com)

The Falken WildPeak A/T3Ws look like they have a more-aggressive tread, but again I'd be afraid of them really being good on the highway...

Falken WildPeak A/T3W | 215/65R17 (tirerack.com)

Why Falken in my case? No particular reason. It's just the brand that Jeep has been putting on these Renegades...

Lift? I don't have one. Don't think I need one.

The only other thing I did was invest in some basic offroad emergency equipment... Fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and warning trangle go without saying for all our cars. But I also threw in a tow strap, a "tree-hugger" strap, and a couple of soft shackles under the passenger seat. I've been considering a good basic tire inflator so I can air down the tires when offroad, but that hasn't been real necessary either...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What OEM tires do you have on it now? I think these days they're been putting Falken WildPeak H/Ts on -- which despite what Jeep claims, are not really on/off-road tires

I got a bit of a credit for those when I had the dealer take them off, and had Falken WildPeak A/T Trails put on. Not a real aggressinve offroad tread, but -- face it -- most of the driving we do in on-road.

The Falken WildPeak A/T3Ws look like they have a more-aggressive tread, but again I'd be afraid of them really being good on the highway...

Why Falken in my case? No particular reason. It's just the brand that Jeep has been putting on these Renegades...

The only other thing I did was invest in some basic offroad emergency equipment... Fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and warning trangle go without saying for all our cars. But I also threw in a tow strap, a "tree-hugger" strap, and a couple of soft shackles under the passenger seat. I've been considering a good basic tire inflator so I can air down the tires when offroad, but that hasn't been real necessary either...
I have the Falkin HT. Was thinking about Toyo Open Country AT3. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
514 Posts

I got a bit of a credit for those when I had the dealer take them off, and had Falken WildPeak A/T Trails put on. Not a real aggressinve offroad tread, but -- face it -- most of the driving we do in on-road.

tire inflator should be number one on the list along with a can or two of fix a flat. I never go any pace without my 12vdc tire pump it has come in handy for many things.
I have AT's on mine and they have worked better by far than i expected them to. I'll get another set.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
tire inflator should be number one on the list along with a can or two of fix a flat. I never go any pace without my 12vdc tire pump it has come in handy for many things.
I have AT's on mine and they have worked better by far than i expected them to. I'll get another set.
Well, for flat tires I've got a full-size A/T Trail spare (on the OEM spare steel wheel). And a small emergency 12v inflator. I'm not planning on being that far away from rescue.

But for re-inflating four large tires after de-airing, I'm afraid that small inflator won't hack it.

Fix-a-flat can be problematic with TPMS sensors. Not a killer, but problematic...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts