Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am really thinking about getting a Wrangler. I have 2021 Rene TH. I just don’t know how capable it is. I am not looking to go rock crawling or anything like that, but I want to make sure that when I go trailing for the first time and in the future that I can make it through a trail and not have to turn around. I would like to start off roading 2-4 times a month. What do I do? Any advice will appreciated!! Thanks.
I have both, well 3 if you count my Gladiator. I built a roof-top tent trailer to tow behind my Wrangler and my Renegade. My Renegade has a 2 inch lift and Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus tires.
Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have both, well 3 if you count my Gladiator. I built a roof-top tent trailer to tow behind my Wrangler and my Renegade.
Cool rig again. But OP is obviously having second thoughts about his new 2021 Renegade Trailhawk, regarding offroad use. So you'd be the perfect guy to advise him regarding what the Wrangler can do, that the Renegade Trailhawk can't...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cool rig again. But OP is obviously having second thoughts about his new 2021 Renegade Trailhawk, regarding offroad use. So you'd be the perfect guy to advise him regarding what the Wrangler can do, that the Renegade Trailhawk can't...
Thanks but it sounds like he is considering owning both like I do. I can flat tow a Wrangler behind my RV but not a Renegade. Having both I feel I am in a position to advise the pros and cons of both vehicles. One has OK aerodynamics, one has the aerodynamics of a cow. They both have a place and if you can afford it then I say go for it. I consider my Wrangler to be two things. One a towable behind my RV and secondly a big, gas sucking ATV with air. I didn't read into the OP having second thoughts at all. All I saw was someone considering a Wrangler as a second vehicle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We're going to trade our 2019 TH in a few months, new Wrangler Willys on order.

The tire we used for 46K, is the Falken AT3W, stock size. It was a great tire, only about .5 mpg down on the Falken H/T that was stock. I just put the stock tires back on the car, as we're going to run them this winter and then trade around March and they were just like new. Very good tire, great in snow, solid for everything we did offroad, and decent on gas.

We lifted the car with Eibach springs, and nothing else. It was good enough to stop scraping on things. We put a beefier carrier bearing skid on, and a beefy rear diff skid.

That's it. It did great for a lot of offroad trips, gravel/dirt roads to more rough trails that used to be roads at some point in their history. Didn't rock crawl much, but did get into some rough trail that required low range and rock mode several times. Some awfully steep goat rocky goat paths in Idaho back country mainly. Places I'd never, ever take a Subaru or similar.

The Renegade is a pretty capable offroad car. It will go places that you just wouldn't think it would, climb over things, get it's feet thoroughly wet, and generally get from point A to point B all over the back country. I'm not a fan of the 9 speed, if it was a manual trans we'd be keeping it. But, we've decided to change over to a Willys Wrangler manual.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Well, for flat tires I've got a full-size A/T Trail spare (on the OEM spare steel wheel). And a small emergency 12v inflator. I'm not planning on being that far away from rescue.

But for re-inflating four large tires after de-airing, I'm afraid that small inflator won't hack it.

Fix-a-flat can be problematic with TPMS sensors. Not a killer, but problematic...
hadn't thought of the tsp. Not had to use the stuff with the TH. I have two inflators. One over 30 years old i bought at Chief auto parts for ten bucks made in USA and it handles the the tires on my F250 4x4) without an issue and those tires hold lots of air. I also have a 20+ year old heavy duty craftsman 12 vdc made for large tires< $80, that is my throw in the car inflator if heading for snow or back country also made in USA. I've tried a couple of of the later model "truck tire" inflators and they burn up before your done with the 2nd tire. Thanks for reminding me of the tsp. I got in the habit of using the can stuff years ago for trailer tires cause i tow alot and they work sometimes but the inflator works all the time.
Those small inflators are sloooow but a quality one will get the job done if there are any being made anymore.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
hadn't thought of the tsp.
A lot of people will say that a TPMS sensor can be cleaned after it's been in contact with fix-a-flat, which is basically a liquid rubber that'll plug up the tiny hole in the sensor that senses the pressure. Maybe, but I trust a spare tire more...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Thanks but it sounds like he is considering owning both like I do. I can flat tow a Wrangler behind my RV but not a Renegade. Having both I feel I am in a position to advise the pros and cons of both vehicles. One has OK aerodynamics, one has the aerodynamics of a cow. They both have a place and if you can afford it then I say go for it. I consider my Wrangler to be two things. One a towable behind my RV and secondly a big, gas sucking ATV with air. I didn't read into the OP having second thoughts at all. All I saw was someone considering a Wrangler as a second vehicle.
I two have owned both bought the rene TH for gas mileage and love the little car a great performer off road but a major defect, can't flat tow. I'm tempted by the new e wrangler rubicon which gets great mileage.

·
Registered
514 Posts
A lot of people will say that a TPMS sensor can be cleaned after it's been in contact with fix-a-flat, which is basically a liquid rubber that'll plug up the tiny hole in the sensor that senses the pressure. Maybe, but I trust a spare tire more...
thats good to know. The can stuff has always been a last resort for me and I've never had to use it on a vehicle but have used it on trailers. I tow a lot

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I am thinking of getting a Wrangler and trading in the Renegade for it. 👍

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am really thinking about getting a Wrangler. I have 2021 Rene TH. I just don’t know how capable it is. I am not looking to go rock crawling or anything like that, but I want to make sure that when I go trailing for the first time and in the future that I can make it through a trail and not have to turn around. I would like to start off roading 2-4 times a month. What do I do? Any advice will appreciated!! Thanks.
I had a loaner Wrangler while my 2018 TH was in the shop (for a month while they tried to figure out my UConnect) IMHO the Wrangler is a very noisy, rough ride. And what's the fake plastic things on the hood for? The door stop is a piece of cloth, rear access is a joke. I have over 70,000 miles on my Renegade and love the ride. Yes, I go off roading and am very happy. Got a 2" Rough County lift and some BF Goodrich Ko2 tires.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive carrying rack Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I am thinking of getting a Wrangler and trading in the Renegade for it. 👍
OK, so, why not try out the Renegade Trailhawk offroad first, with its OEM tires (which are supposed to be OK for not-extreme offroading)? On gradually tougher trails? If you're careful, you shouldn't bang it up for potential trade-in value.

Seems a shame to trade it in so soon (and take the depreciation hit), when it's likely to be all you need...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I had a loaner Wrangler while my 2018 TH was in the shop (for a month while they tried to figure out my UConnect) IMHO the Wrangler is a very noisy, rough ride. And what's the fake plastic things on the hood for? The door stop is a piece of cloth, rear access is a joke. I have over 70,000 miles on my Renegade and love the ride. Yes, I go off roading and am very happy. Got a 2" Rough County lift and some BF Goodrich Ko2 tires.

View attachment 2396353060
Plastic things on the hood is to rest the windshield on it to have the windshield down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
OK, so, why not try out the Renegade Trailhawk offroad first, with its OEM tires (which are supposed to be OK for not-extreme offroading)? On gradually tougher trails? If you're careful, you shouldn't bang it up for potential trade-in value.

Seems a shame to trade it in so soon (and take the depreciation hit), when it's likely to be all you need...
I am going to keep it. We will have our house paid off in 3 1/2 years, I will wait until then and think whether or not I want to just get a Rubicon to play in.

·
Registered
514 Posts

very good advice. I never could understand why people think they know better than a team of engineers whose job was to design build for best all around performance for the design requirements set forth by marketing. I learned that lesson years ago with jeeps. I never could figure why military jeeps had little skinny tires for every condition. I thought how dumb you need big and wide for best traction. What a dummy i was. One day in the high country snow on a sorta trail four jeeps all decked out in after market crap would go from one hole to another having a grand time getting each other unstuck. The women would just sit on a snow drift and watch our antics. Then a fifth jeep arrived an army surplus job with those skinny tires and the driver asked if we didn't mind if he went around us. We all laughed and said go right ahead. ...chuckle....we expected him to go maybe ten feet but he simply slapped her into low range ploughed into a drift and literally drove right around us and went on down the unbroken trail. There was silence for a couple in our bunch has we pondered the lesson we had just been taught. As a result of that day i always go with what the engineers and after use i may tweak things a bit and ofter just leave thongs stock finding all that modding did was mt my pockets.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I am going to keep it. We will have our house paid off in 3 1/2 years, I will wait until then and think whether or not I want to just get a Rubicon to play in.
I love the rubicon except for its size and gas mileage. I think the full lock axles give it that edge. Had an 83 ford ranger with factory rear lock and front limit slip that would go anyplace its wheelbase would allow. A CJ5 with rubicon front and rear axles would be the ultimate but would still not deliver road fuel economy. The new e rubicon when it arrives may do the trick in both worlds...except for its large footprint

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I never could understand why people think they know better than a team of engineers
Well, to be fair, I do think an old-school (i.e., non-Renegade Trailhawk) Jeep would be more capable offroad -- but in really extreme conditions, which I don't ever intend on taking my Trailhawk into...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Well, to be fair, I do think an old-school (i.e., non-Renegade Trailhawk) Jeep would be more capable offroad -- but in really extreme conditions, which I don't ever intend on taking my Trailhawk into...
Yes they are and they were designed with accent on off roading while our rene the accent is on road with off road skills. I tell you i am getting to love that transmission shifter which allows the driver complete control when ever he needs it. The computer ofter chooses to high a gear.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I tell you i am getting to love that transmission shifter which allows the driver complete control when ever he needs it. The computer ofter chooses to high a gear.
You mean the manual-shift feature on the 1.3T Trailhawk's automatic transmission? Yes, I use it occasionally. Offroading, and going downhill on an icy road when I want to maintain some engine braking...

·
Registered
514 Posts
You mean the manual-shift feature on the 1.3T Trailhawk's automatic transmission? Yes, I use it occasionally. Offroading, and going downhill on an icy road when I want to maintain some engine braking...
Dosent yours have the hill assist option? Mine does and i hate that option because lots of time i want to let my speed build up to save fuel so i use the manual shift feature to hold it in 9th speed. Go into options on the display and i think you can turn it off or on.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts