Jeep Renegade Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Dosent yours have the hill assist option?
I'm not sure wht you're referring to. We need to define terms.

"Hill Start Assist" (according to my Owner's Manual) helps when starting off going up an incline; it keeps the brakes on for a short time until you have a chance to press the accelerator -- so you won't start rolling backwards (even with an automatic transmission). I love that feature, since we have a rather steep driveway.

"Hill Descent Control" (HDC), which controls the vehicle's speed in 4WD Low, when descending a steep offroad hill? It's meant for literal crawling down a hill; I do use it occasionally.

But I was talking about manual shift, where you click the gear lever to the left and it will maintain the gear you're in, until you manually change it. I'll use that occasionally when going downhill on long moderately-steep stretches of roads (paved or not), to maintain speed and prevent using the brakes by not have the auto transmission shift up. Speed is higher than crawling in HDC.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm not sure wht you're referring to. We need to define terms.

"Hill Start Assist" (according to my Owner's Manual) helps when starting off going up an incline; it keeps the brakes on for a short time until you have a chance to press the accelerator -- so you won't start rolling backwards (even with an automatic transmission). I love that feature, since we have a rather steep driveway.

"Hill Descent Control" (HDC), which controls the vehicle's speed in 4WD Low, when descending a steep offroad hill? It's meant for literal crawling down a hill; I do use it occasionally.

But I was talking about manual shift, where you click the gear lever to the left and it will maintain the gear you're in, until you manually change it. I'll use that occasionally when going downhill on long moderately-steep stretches of roads (paved or not), to maintain speed and prevent using the brakes by not have the auto transmission shift up. Speed is higher than crawling in HDC.
Yes, with the shift lever moved to the left so the tranny acts like a manual tranny thats what i use to keep the computer from down shifting on hills to keep the speed at my set point. I'll bet you never use cruise control so you have not experienced the tranny downshifting to use the engine to keep the vehicle speed at the set point. Only works when cruise control is engaged. I like to coast going down hill to save fuel. Not sure what this feature is called but I'm sure your car has this feature. It could prevent one from getting a ticket from one of the cops sitting at the bottom of a long grade waiting for speeders

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yes, with the shift lever moved to the left so the tranny acts like a manual tranny ... Not sure what this feature is called but I'm sure your car has this feature
Yes, of course my Trailhawk has that, with the 9-sp auto transmission. Like you, I've used it on long highway descents, to keep the transmission in one gear so it doesn't keep upshifting and speeding up. Not often, but it's useful.

I've also used it offroad, to control speed under normal conditions -- since Hill Descent Control can only be used (I think) in 4-Low, when you're just crawling -- HDC uses automatic braking, rather than engine braking.

And yes, It's common (I think) with an automatic transmission and with cruise control engaged for the transmission to shift in order to maintain appropriate engine speed. I say "I think," becuse this Trailhawk is the first vehicle I've ever owned with an automatic transmission. One reason I generally hate automatic transmissions is that I want to decide what gear I'm in, thank you very much. Though I must say, the Trailhawk's auto transmission sure is handy offroad, ironically enough.

You're right, though... I hardly ever use cruise control. Only on long lonely stretches across the desert somewhere...

You coast downhill? All the advice I've ever heard is that that's a bad idea -- if only in case you need to accelerate to do an emergency maneuver...

·
Registered
169 Posts
...I like to coast going down hill to save fuel...
...You coast downhill? All the advice I've ever heard is that that's a bad idea -- if only in case you need to accelerate to do an emergency maneuver...
I agree with @Marek K, and so does the owner's manual. The manual also states that coasting in neutral can cause severe transmission damage.
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Terrestrial plant

41 - 45 of 45 Posts