Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm about to upgrade to some 225/65r17 Yoko Geolander A/T G015 tires on my '15 TH and was curious if there are any other A/T tires that I should be considering? I do quite a bit of trail riding on rough, rocky trails and that's what's driving this purchase, I don't trust the hardiness of my current tires and their traction is dismal offroad. I also snowboard regularly in the winter time.

I'd love to throw some BFG K02's on, but they weigh a ton and I'm afraid of them making the handling and acceleration dull. Thoughts, opinions? I've read a lot of the tire threads on this forum, and it seems like everyone who's tried them has great things to say about the older Geolander A/T-S.

Geolander A/T G015: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A/T+G015&partnum=265HR7G015&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Geolander A/T-S: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A/T-S&partnum=265HR7GEOATS

·
Registered
243 Posts
Smart choice, that's the tire I'm going with after my G-force 2.5cm lift and 17mm spacers are installed, I have a 60 mile commute to work and back, 5 days a week.I hit the trails about 2 weekends month,so I'm Not going all out aggressive.
Playing it safe!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smart choice, that's the tire I'm going with after my G-force 2.5cm lift and 17mm spacers are installed, I have a 60 mile commute to work and back, 5 days a week.I hit the trails about 2 weekends month,so I'm Not going all out aggressive.
Playing it safe!
My thoughts exactly, a lot of the trails that we go to are 1-2 hours aways on 70 mph roads. The BFG K02 weigh 39 lbs each compared to the OEM GY SR-A that weigh 28 lbs each, that's a significant increase. The Geolander A/T G015 weigh 30 lbs per tire, hopefully they have the bite that I'm looking for offroad though, I'm used to the Duratracs on my truck.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If I knew that Yokohama was replacing the ATS with this newer option, I would have waited..maybe. I sell tires, and have bene doing so for years. Yokohama makes a great tire, this is the 2nd time Ive used them. As quiet of an all terrain as you will find, happy they are available in our smaller sizes needed. Wet weather traction is very good, better than some non all terrain road going tires (see GY SRA).

The new technology in this new g015 has a longer treadwear warranty (50k to 60k) in the pmetric options. The tread pattern looks to be quieter than the ATS, and wet weather traction should be enhanced due to the new tech in these g015s. Snow traction is not a biggie around here, but I know that helps for the northerners out there.

I will consider looking at this new option, but have already decided on KO2s before the end of the year. I get such a good deal on BFG/Michelins that I cant spend more (again) on Yokos when the BFG is what I really want. The weight increase, so far, hasnt shown to be a detriment to anything, yet. Hopefully just some mpg loss, and maybe slower acceleration. I will always recommend the Yokohama to everyone looking for something capable, but not as aggressive as the BFG/Nitto designs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
75 mile impressions:

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with these tires, here are some of my initial impressions:

Pros:

- There's no noticeable increase in road noise on the highway or in the city
- Traction is excellent on both dry and wet pavement
- They expel gravel/rocks very competently, with only some small pebbles getting stuck compared to the SR-A's which picked up a variety of sizes that would sometimes get permanently stuck until I picked them out. This is a definite plus for me since I drive on gravel on a daily basis.
- Highway mileage doesn't appear to be effected according to the computer which I reset after the installation, but I'll calculate it manually once I fill it up a few times.

Cons:

- They are more prone to tramlining compared to the GY SR-A's
- They transmit road imperfections more than the SR-A's, which is to be expected since they are a higher performance tire with a more aggressive tread pattern
- The Renegade doesn't feel quite as nimble as before, but only very slightly. It feels more surefooted and substantial than before, but doesn't feel as light on it's feet as it did with the stock rubbers
- Acceleration feels slightly reduced, especially when driving up hills or accelerating from a stop. It's not a huge difference, but I feel like it's noticeable.

I'll continue to update this thread when I have a full review, and when I've spent some time off the pavement which is the reason that I bought these tires.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Man, those look good. Just keep in mind, which you already have noted, a better, more technologically advanced tires, will hug the road better, and grab more. Literally, grab is a soft word, grooves in the road, etc, will be more noticable. An Hrated tire (Yoko) and an Srated tire (GY) will also make a difference in how feedback is trasmitted through the steering wheel/vehicle. An s rated tire, especially a GY, are very flimsy, and bounce ALOT. They can not withstand heat as well as the better tires, and heat up quicker, and eventually break down, or wear, faster than most other products.

Remember these tires added a bit more weight, but also a slightly taller center of gravity, so turns dont feel as 'low' as they used to be. I can still slide into a turn if I want to, but my ATSs grab too much that my fronts want to plow instead of the rear breaking loose. Unless I turn off ESC & Stability, these tires stick. I have yet to try them out at speed offroad, just a small mud hole here, and a small washed out white gravel path or 2. Im getting 21.6 over the roughly 6k I have on my ATSs. I drive a little hard is my excuse tho :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tires

Hey everyone, I'm about to upgrade to some 225/65r17 Yoko Geolander A/T G015 tires on my '15 TH and was curious if there are any other A/T tires that I should be considering? I do quite a bit of trail riding on rough, rocky trails and that's what's driving this purchase, I don't trust the hardiness of my current tires and their traction is dismal offroad. I also snowboard regularly in the winter time.

I'd love to throw some BFG K02's on, but they weigh a ton and I'm afraid of them making the handling and acceleration dull. Thoughts, opinions? I've read a lot of the tire threads on this forum, and it seems like everyone who's tried them has great things to say about the older Geolander A/T-S.

Geolander A/T G015: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A/T+G015&partnum=265HR7G015&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Geolander A/T-S: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A/T-S&partnum=265HR7GEOATS
Hi I found the BFGoodrich AT KO 265 to be good off road but as you say thay do slow the acceleration I got them form http://www.tireplacesnearme.com I think thay where about 150 each.
Kind Regards
Jack

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like the looks of the Geolander tire, however I have a question/concern. Did anyone going with the slightly bigger tires get the spare tire replaced as well? From what I read and understand you need to have the full size tire be the same and since your going to a different size I would think that would be even more important, but from what I can tell there isn't much room in the spare tire compartment that I wonder if it would fit. Let me know as I was thinking of picking the Yokohama tires but wanted to know if anyone tried swapping out the spare too.

Thank You.

·
Super Moderator
3,335 Posts
I like the looks of the Geolander tire, however I have a question/concern. Did anyone going with the slightly bigger tires get the spare tire replaced as well? From what I read and understand you need to have the full size tire be the same and since your going to a different size I would think that would be even more important, but from what I can tell there isn't much room in the spare tire compartment that I wonder if it would fit. Let me know as I was thinking of picking the Yokohama tires but wanted to know if anyone tried swapping out the spare too.

Thank You.
If your approach to a full sized spare is:

get a flat
put on spare
get flat fixed or tire replaced
put fixed tire in as spare

Then yes, you need to get the same size.

If your approach is
get a flat
put on spare
get flat fixed/tire replaced as soon as possible
put fixed tire back on car
stow your spare again.

Then no.

It becomes yes again if you put a lot of miles on and as soon as possible is still a significant number of miles.

I have been driving AWD vehicles for the last 20 years. they had donuts that when I went to fatter tires on bigger wheels I just tossed a stocker in the space for a spare. I've gone as much as 250 miles like that without any issues with transfer case or differentials. Fairly routine was ~100 miles, and that happened a lot. Which is why I went renegade. No more low profile tires for me given the state of local roads.

(FYI fairly routine = about 24 times. between road hazards and wear and tear, 20 years = 35 tires.)

1 - 20 of 90 Posts