Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed to 225 70 16 from 215 65 16.
Has anyone had excessive body roll. Cant tell if its just me. Before the change steering was really tight. This is my 3rd set of gelanders although the ofther 2 were on full size trucks.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Taller sidewall equates to more travel in the tire. Should be minimal, but the speed rating should have increased from an s to an h. An h rated tire has better response in handling. Check your air pressure and adjust according to feel. I run 17s and I keep mine between 31-33 and it'll heat up to 35 during the daytime. Usually sits at 32-33 when it's not hot as ****

·
Registered
607 Posts
Changed to 225 70 16 from 215 65 16.
Has anyone had excessive body roll. Cant tell if its just me. Before the change steering was really tight. This is my 3rd set of gelanders although the ofther 2 were on full size trucks.
Inflate the tires to 40 psi, and try that. Most people run below 35 psi. I have run 39-40 psi for years with no problems in other vehicles and tires, you'll get better handling but a slightly stiffer ride.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Inflate the tires to 40 psi, and try that. Most people run below 35 psi. I have run 39-40 psi for years with no problems in other vehicles and tires, you'll get better handling but a slightly stiffer ride.

"Better" is a odd way to put it. Its subjective on how you drive, where you drive, and how much cargo is carried. The air pressure suggested from the company is per vehicle, and meant to be there to give the driver optimal MPG. And handling, IE it wont rebound too much after a bump.

·
Registered
607 Posts
"Better" is a odd way to put it. Its subjective on how you drive, where you drive, and how much cargo is carried. The air pressure suggested from the company is per vehicle, and meant to be there to give the driver optimal MPG. And handling, IE it wont rebound too much after a bump.
so you're basically saying adding 5 psi to your tires will effect everything depending on everything, which is ridiculous since that can be said about anything, come on, I'm not an idiot, I have lots of experience in the automotive world, I work in in it, and play in it. I may be a track racer that is new to the whole 4x4 thing, but I know what slightly over inflating a tire does. The OP said his ride was experiencing lots of body roll with tires that he has already had experience with. To compensate for this, adding 5 psi will not hurt, the suspension on his renegade sounds like it is softer than his other vehicles in his past - given that the tires are the same.

·
Registered
715 Posts
so you're basically saying adding 5 psi to your tires will effect everything depending on everything, which is ridiculous since that can be said about anything, come on, I'm not an idiot, I have lots of experience in the automotive world, I work in in it, and play in it. I may be a track racer that is new to the whole 4x4 thing, but I know what slightly over inflating a tire does. The OP said his ride was experiencing lots of body roll with tires that he has already had experience with. To compensate for this, adding 5 psi will not hurt, the suspension on his renegade sounds like it is softer than his other vehicles in his past - given that the tires are the same.
Not inferring you to be an idiot at all, but to increase a tires pressure but a few lbs can change cehicle dynamics. I know on my ATSs, the rebound at 38psi is different than it is at 33 psi. I generally run my psi on all my past jeeps (all I've owned) a couple to a few pounds under intended pressure, and never had any ride issues. And I've ridden many a tire. Selling tires the past 9 years has taught me a few things as well, and all terrains that are not a 8 or 10 ply tire will have different ride changes over asphalt, concrete, that csn be noticed with simple psi adjustments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.