Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
The gearbox it is the same 948TE, a modified version of ZF 9HP, used in Jeep Cherokee, Ram Promaster City, ...

Maybe You can find some answer to your questions in this PDF document
http://hudsonhawk.net/th/fluidlevel.pdf

For checking fluid level You need a special dipstick. Yopu can find, for example, at "MOPAR ESSENTIAL TOOLS AND SERVICE EQUIPMENT" (https://mopar.snapon.com/)

in ZF 9HP an optional cooler can be attached directly to the gearbox housing.
The pdf file generated an xml error and would not load. The mopar/snapon link doesn't go directly to the part so I'm not sure if this, <www.moparessentialtools.com/item-detail.aspx?itemid=30470017&type=tools> is the right part.

I've got 106K on my 2015 Trailhawk and I'd like to see about changing that fluid. I was sent the PDF file for changing the filter/fluid. They show the entire transmission having to be removed. Surely there's another way using the dipstick took and dropping the pan?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Draining is easy as it has a drain plug. Remove the belly pan first. Filling I don't know...can it be done through the checking plug?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got this from the 2015 Renegade factory shop service manual. Thought it might help to answer some of the questions that have asked here.

21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Automatic - 948TE/9HP48 / FLUID and FILTER / Standard Procedure
FLUID LEVEL CHECK
Special Tools: Click to display a list of tools used in this procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting/Standard Procedure) .
  2. Remove the left front tire and wheel assembly. (Refer to 22 - Tires and Wheels/Removal and Installation) .
  1. Remove the belly pan (Refer to 13 - Frame and Bumpers/Under Body Protection/BELLY PAN/Removal and Installation) .
  1. Connect a scan tool to the Diagnostic Connector.
  1. With the scan tool, view the Data Display and read the Transmission Fluid Temperature.
  1. Start the engine and allow it to run at idle with the transmission in Park.
  1. Verify that the fluid temperature is above 50 °C.
NOTE:Vehicle must be level for accurate transmission fluid level readings.

1. Turn the steering wheel to the full left position.
  1. Remove the plug from the fluid level check port.

1. Insert tool 2000040963 (EMEA) or Dipstick 10323A (NAFTA) (1) into the fluid level check port and allow the handle of the tool to rest on the flat surface of the transmission housing around the check port.
  1. Remove the 2000040963 (EMEA) or Dipstick 10323A (NAFTA) (1) from the check port , keeping the handle above the tip so the level reading remains accurate.

1. If necessary, adjust the fluid level using the proper automatic transmission fluid (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Capacities and Recommended Fluids/Specifications) .
  1. Install the plug into the fluid level check port and tighten.
  1. Install the belly pan (Refer to 13 - Frame and Bumpers/Under Body Protection/BELLY PAN/Removal and Installation) .
  1. Install the left front tire and wheel assembly (Refer to 22 - Tires and Wheels/Removal and Installation) .
TRANSMISSION FILL
CAUTION:Failure to properly fill this transmission with the specified amount of transmission fluid will result in transmission damage.

1. Remove the transmission fill plug (1) and add following initial quantity of MOPAR® ZF 8&9 Speed ATF™, or equivalent to the transmission:
    1. If only valve body was removed, add 2.5L (2.65 quarts) of Mopar® ZF 8&9 Speed ATF™ to the transmission.
  1. If transmission was completely overhauled and the torque converter was replaced or drained, add 4.5L (4.8 quarts) of Mopar® ZF 8&9 Speed ATF™ to the transmission.

1. Check the transmission fluid level and adjust as required (Refer to 21 - Transmission and Transfer Case/Automatic - 948TE/FLUID and FILTER/Standard Procedure) .
21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Automatic - 948TE/9HP48 / FLUID and FILTER / Standard Procedure
FLUID AND FILTER SERVICE
CAUTION:A unique transmission fluid has been developed for this transmission. This fluid is NOT compatible with ATF+4 or any other current FCA US LLC transmission fluid. For specifics about this unique fluid see FLUIDS, LUBRICANTS AND GENUINE PARTS .
The 948TE/9HP48 automatic transmission is a sealed for life design and does not require periodic service. The only time the transmission fluid needs to be checked is when abnormal shifts frequently occur or evidence of a transmission fluid leak is present. The fluid filter is mounted internally and requires that the transmission be removed from the vehicle and disassembled to replace the filter. The fluid filter has a plastic body filled with polyester filter fleece.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts