Jeep Renegade Forum banner

41 - 60 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just started leasing a blue Trailhawk last weekend. Really enjoy over my 13 yo Liberty. Looking forward to the winter package esp. heated steering wheel and seats (and 4WD). Anyway, saw there was an update for the 5.0 Uconnect. Downloaded the 300+GB file directly using Chrome on Linux Mint desktop. Only took a minute or so over FIOS. Tried NTFS formatted 8GB stick. No go - device not recognized. After a couple of attempts tried FAT32 on new 16GB stick and that worked so the instructions are wrong about NTFS. It does take a half minute or so for radio to read the stick and show the update screen. Maybe older sticks are slower and take a little longer. Once it finished and the doors were opened closed a couple times and on/off once or twice, all seemed OK except presets vanished. Put the stick back in to see if it really updated and when the update screen came up, the old and new (on stick) numbers matched so the update definitely took.

Things I've noticed with this latest uconnect: it does seem to find my Android 5.1.1 phone automatically pretty fast now. Older version forced me to connect manually (ie click a couple things on the screen). I tried a voice-activated call HOME, it then found two 'H' items in my contacts. First one was HOME. It asks for the number of the item in the list to call, I said 'ONE', it then proceeded to dial the first number at the top of all my contacts (an 'A..' contact), not the first one of the two 'H..' contacts it identified. Not a useful feature with this bug in it. Bluetooth audio stream seems to experience minor dropouts but not continuously, just randomly. Happens with anything I play so isn't source and never happened in my other car with same phone so I think its the radio or more likely the uconnect software.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I got everything on my 4GB jump drive, plugged into USB and it said new software update recognized and that it would take 30 minutes. That was over an hour ago! It's just got the UConnect symbol on the screen and won't do anything. This is a nightmare.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How did you receive the updates, from the dealer, or you were sent the engine and Transmission one? I understand that we can download and install the Uconnect one ourselves.

Apologies... I received an update for the software controlling the engine and the software controlling the transmission at the same time as a Uconnect 5.0 software upgrade. Three software upgrades in total. Service at dealership were telling me that it was a Uconnect software update and I said the same thing... that I was skeptical that a radio software update would control the transmission. At that point he told me it was actually three separate updates that were in the same software package.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Can someone tell me how to do this? I download to flashdrive but then what? How do I transfer it to my car?
I'll start by saying I followed the direction (that were part of the Uconnect web site) and followed some of the other recommendations earlier in this thread (have you read either?)
One thing (mentioned both here and in the instructions): don't download the compressed file directly to the USB stick. The file that is downloaded from the web is a compressed file. The actual update files needs to be "extracted" (uncompressed) from the downloaded file and placed on the USB stick.
If you can do that, and then have some specific questions, I'll be glad to help.
If following the directions provided, and reviewing the previous posts on this thread, do not get you started then I recommend having your dealer do it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, the detailed multipage instruction they provide on the uconnect website leads you step by step through everything. I followed these to the letter and it was about 20 minutes or a bit longer. I was paranoid about making sure it went well so I stayed in the Jeep the whole time with the door shut :) My wife was wondering why I was out there so long just sitting there :)

It did go through several phases where the screen flashed and had lots of lines that looked a bit glitchy but all was well and it then got to the uconnect splash screen and continued on just fine.

I used a 16GB USB stick and did a quick format to FAT32 as they recommended, then unzipped the update to the root drive for the stick (e.g. F:\).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Downloaded the 300+GB file directly using Chrome on Linux Mint desktop.
I also did the direct download as I couldn't get the Akamai thing to work. But it's no problem for most to download direct as it's only 300+MB - I wanted to point out that it's one third of a GB and not 300+ GB :) You can find a download link for direct download somewhere on the last page that you get to for downloading.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I also did the direct download as I couldn't get the Akamai thing to work. But it's no problem for most to download direct as it's only 300+MB - I wanted to point out that it's one third of a GB and not 300+ GB :) You can find a download link for direct download somewhere on the last page that you get to for downloading.
Not 10 bluray movies then?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Did you end getting the update installed successfully, essendon22?

Jane, there are instructions on the Uconnect website. As rsanges suggested, if you are still having difficulty downloading the file, than I would recommend having your dealer do it. Alternatively, you can call our Uconnect support line at 1-877-855-8400.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Did you end getting the update installed successfully, essendon22?

Jane, there are instructions on the Uconnect website. As rsanges suggested, if you are still having difficulty downloading the file, than I would recommend having your dealer do it. Alternatively, you can call our Uconnect support line at 1-877-855-8400.
After you have the software on your USB stick how long does it actually take to do the update ? I am concerned that one person said over an hour. Thats a long time to leave your car running. I would think the accessory mode would timeout after a short time.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I did it with the car off (accessory mode). I didn't time it specifically, but it took about 30 minutes. The instructions go so far as to tell you when to open and close the doors, so I started the process and climbed out through the back seat. That didn't seem to bother the process.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
After you have the software on your USB stick how long does it actually take to do the update ? I am concerned that one person said over an hour. Thats a long time to leave your car running. I would think the accessory mode would timeout after a short time.
The update is expected to take about 25-30 minutes. It is also recommended that you have at least 1/4 tank of gas before performing the update.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The update is expected to take about 25-30 minutes. It is also recommended that you have at least 1/4 tank of gas before performing the update.
JeepCares - Please verify if you can also do it by putting the car in accessory mode. Wasting a 1/4 tank of fuel going nowhere does not appeal to me and is environmentally irresponsible.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
The last three times I updated my Dodge Challenger 8.4 system, I did it with the car not running, but ignition on (as per the instructions). It took maybe 20 minutes or so. I just sat in the car the whole time and read stuff on my phone while it was updating.

I haven't tried to update the 5.0 in my Renegade yet. I might wait until the next update.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The last three times I updated my Dodge Challenger 8.4 system, I did it with the car not running, but ignition on (as per the instructions). It took maybe 20 minutes or so. I just sat in the car the whole time and read stuff on my phone while it was updating.

I haven't tried to update the 5.0 in my Renegade yet. I might wait until the next update.
I think it can be done without the car running but for some dumb reason even the dealer techs leave the car running. Seems to me they should have a nag screen when you run the update saying to put the car in accessory mode. Wasting gas is not cool and FCA should be encouraging saving fuel.

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
I think it can be done without the car running but for some dumb reason even the dealer techs leave the car running. Seems to me they should have a nag screen when you run the update saying to put the car in accessory mode. Wasting gas is not cool and FCA should be encouraging saving fuel.
Not to mention that is actually illegal many places, and unsafe in most residential garages.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You don't need to have the engine running. Just keep the Renegade in start mode, with the dash on. And you will see on the radio display the progress bar.

Btw, it seems that it's not only a radio update, I noticed that the electric brake is more reactive too, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
JeepCares - Please verify if you can also do it by putting the car in accessory mode. Wasting a 1/4 tank of fuel going nowhere does not appeal to me and is environmentally irresponsible.
I believe it can be done in accessory mode, but I've reached out to confirm this.

41 - 60 of 116 Posts