Jeep Renegade Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, I have had these issues before. Almost all of my emergence signals were lit up, Check Engine, Service Steering, Service Parking Brake, No 4-Wheel Drive when switched on. Dealer said it was a "clock spring," and it has been fine for a few months. Now the Service Tire Pressure Monitoring System, and Service Parking Brake have lit up.
The electrical system really seems to be a weak point in the vehicle. Due to the Coronavirus situation here in the NYC/NJ area, servicing will have to wait.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think the first three visits the dealership just updated (or told me they updated) the software and shoved me and my 2018 Renegade Trailhawk off on my way. This fourth visit Jeep Star said to replace rdm unit for drive gear failure. This did not fix the problem and I'm awaiting a service appointment next week. The rdm unit replacement was two weeks. The vehicle has had a total shop time of almost three weeks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very similar thing happened to me today, except there was no rain, snow, gravel, or off-roading involved at all. Only normal asphalt.

2018 Jeep Renegade 2.4L FWD, 70k miles
° Multiple service lights came on at once randomly:
  • Dynamic Steering Torque service required
  • Service Electronic Power Steering
  • Service Hill Start Assist system
  • Traction Assist Turned Off/Light On

All these lights came on at once randomly while I was braking and going about 10 mph and getting ready to turn left.

At first I pulled off to the right side, unable to make my left turn, then I stopped and tried to assess the situation. It was hard to keep up with all the flashing messages in the moment, but I think this is all that was said. I stopped the car and tried pressing the traction control button, but nothing happened. I even placed it in park, turned the parking brake on and off, then put the car in reverse to see if I could at least attempt to get off the road and make my turn into my apartment complex where there was no traffic. I reversed a bit, and was able to steer only minimally. I tried to pull up to turn, but it wasn’t working well enough so I veered back off to the right side. Once I stopped, I turned the car off and turned it back on again. Immediately the steering wheel was unlocked, all indicator lights went off, and everything returned to normal as if nothing happened. I was able to reverse, accelerate, and make my left turn.

I went back out and tried turning the steering wheel both ways while riding around my apartment parking lot. Everything was fine. I also went out about two hours later, a longer distance outside my apartment complex, and everything seemed fine again.

I haven’t experienced any weird feelings or noises within the steering wheel, engine, or brakes. Going to call the dealership tomorrow to see if they can get me in.

·
Super Moderator
4,828 Posts
Very similar thing happened to me today, except there was no rain, snow, gravel, or off-roading involved at all. Only normal asphalt.

2018 Jeep Renegade 2.4L FWD, 70k miles
° Multiple service lights came on at once randomly:
  • Dynamic Steering Torque service required
  • Service Electronic Power Steering
  • Service Hill Start Assist system
  • Traction Assist Turned Off/Light On
All these lights came on at once randomly while I was braking and going about 10 mph and getting ready to turn left.

At first I pulled off to the right side, unable to make my left turn, then I stopped and tried to assess the situation. It was hard to keep up with all the flashing messages in the moment, but I think this is all that was said. I stopped the car and tried pressing the traction control button, but nothing happened. I even placed it in park, turned the parking brake on and off, then put the car in reverse to see if I could at least attempt to get off the road and make my turn into my apartment complex where there was no traffic. I reversed a bit, and was able to steer only minimally. I tried to pull up to turn, but it wasn’t working well enough so I veered back off to the right side. Once I stopped, I turned the car off and turned it back on again. Immediately the steering wheel was unlocked, all indicator lights went off, and everything returned to normal as if nothing happened. I was able to reverse, accelerate, and make my left turn.

I went back out and tried turning the steering wheel both ways while riding around my apartment parking lot. Everything was fine. I also went out about two hours later, a longer distance outside my apartment complex, and everything seemed fine again.

I haven’t experienced any weird feelings or noises within the steering wheel, engine, or brakes. Going to call the dealership tomorrow to see if they can get me in.

and enjoy the forum!
Good luck they should get you taken care of.

Reactions: Atm158

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It is good you are having it checked, keep us posted on what they find. All info is helpful to other Renegade owners. Good luck.
So I just got back from the dealership. A code did come back (c1001-48, see: C1001-48 - Jeep Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Definition, Causes and Diagnosis). This is what the dealership said " caused by power steering module needing relearning. Relearned left to right stops, reconfigured proxy align. Test drove 3 miles and no codes came back."

They also said it wasn't due to user error or an actual fault in the quality of the module or sensor, just random system error. It was an easy reset apparently, as I've seen people do it themselves on Youtube with their own code readers on other makes.

I haven't really gone anywhere yet, but so far so good. I hope it holds up, as I'm taking a 5 hour trip in a few days. Hopefully I won't have any further problems in the meantime so I won't have to rent a car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The other day I bent a tie rod hopping up on a curb 🤦‍♂️ And the "Dynamic Steering Torque Service Required, Service ESC System, & Service Hill Start System messages came on. I have replaced the bent tie rod how do I get the lights to go off?

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
RS it looks like a visit to the garage to get the code reset (if their code reader works with a Jeep)

Some of the guys are having success using their own personal readers connected to the engine management system.

Other than that I have no idea and if it was me I would have a right good search of the forum for any other similar posts. A few minutes searching can often save you a few $100's. (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Renegade, 2WD Altitude that is having the same issue. I brought it to the dealership yesterday and they seem very confused by whatever code was present.

When it happened I was luckily able to pull over, restart it and it seemed fine. I’m just nervous it will happen again. Everything seemed to lock up, I got the steering torque message, ESC and Service Hill lights.

I’ll show them this forum and maybe it will help?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2019 Renegade, 2WD Altitude that is having the same issue. I brought it to the dealership yesterday and they seem very confused by whatever code was present.

When it happened I was luckily able to pull over, restart it and it seemed fine. I’m just nervous it will happen again. Everything seemed to lock up, I got the steering torque message, ESC and Service Hill lights.

I’ll show them this forum and maybe it will help?
There is a faulty module "somewhere" in the system that is making the whole system glitch. Try the passenger airbag module. I know that sounds irrelevant, but it is not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will keep this thread updated as the repair process on the Renegade moves forward at the dealership, and the final "Fix", because from my research here and around the internet, this seems to be a somewhat common problem ?
  • NO 4WD,
  • Dynamic Trq Service Req'd,
  • Service ESC,
  • Service Hill Start
with the "Traction Control Off" Icon appearing on the instrument cluster and it's T.C. button unresponsive

Although,
from the other reports I could find no feedback of what the definitive "Fix" was ?

It's never fun to have a problem with a Brand New Vehicle ?
that said,
I have to say that even for the brief 200 miles we drove the little Renegade home from the dealership in a Canadian Winter storm dumping 12" of snow, through the Rocky Mountain passes where we live, to say that we were IMPRESSED with the way it hugged the road and dealt with the horrible road conditions would be an UNDERSTATEMENT !
The little Renegade was fantastic in "Snow" mode, never getting stuck, never sliding around, and it was unbelievably stable delivering a much appreciated confidence in such conditions.
I think FCA have a winner here folks ?

And now it is my turn. All same. It lurched when I was leaving driveway. All the ding started dinging all the errors came up as here... tow truck in the way. 22 thousand miles. Insane

·
Registered
57 Posts
A similar problem (UK): a 5-year old 75th Anniversary model, petrol, auto, owned from new, low mileage and little used recently (Covid etc = few journeys). Everything was fine until a couple of months ago, when error messages started to appear: at first just 'check parking brake', then 'stop/start not available', then '4WD not available'. At one point the car refused to start - it was just dead - so I put the battery on charge which woke it up enough to work. With a fully charged battery everything seemed OK again, but after a couple of weeks I have started to get the error messages again even with a well-charged battery, and the starter struggled to get it going. After that, it seems OK again.....

I have a routine service/MoT booked on Monday 2nd August. The garage is 20+ miles away), and I am worried about being stranded. Any informed guesses about the problem, including whether it (1) ought to get there, and (2) will be quick to remedy once I get it to the garage - or am I likely to have to leave it there for a while?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A similar problem (UK): a 5-year old 75th Anniversary model, petrol, auto, owned from new, low mileage and little used recently (Covid etc = few journeys). Everything was fine until a couple of months ago, when error messages started to appear: at first just 'check parking brake', then 'stop/start not available', then '4WD not available'. At one point the car refused to start - it was just dead - so I put the battery on charge which woke it up enough to work. With a fully charged battery everything seemed OK again, but after a couple of weeks I have started to get the error messages again even with a well-charged battery, and the starter struggled to get it going. After that, it seems OK again.....

I have a routine service/MoT booked on Monday 2nd August. The garage is 20+ miles away), and I am worried about being stranded. Any informed guesses about the problem, including whether it (1) ought to get there, and (2) will be quick to remedy once I get it to the garage - or am I likely to have to leave it there for a while?

Thanks for any advice.
PS the car now does not start at all...

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Tony, though it's an automatic could it be "stuck" between gears ie perhaps Park and reverse etc.

The Jeep or for that matter any automatic needs a direct command to say it is in a specific gear. If it's stuck between gears then it simply will not start as a safety feature. A wiggle here and a jiggle there of the gear selector can often disengage the stuck gear.

I am no expert but I am sure that others with more experience and technical knowledge will understand what I mean.

Little used, may be the cause of your issues but I cannot be sure.

Then I have an option available to you that may sound really silly and that is to buy and fit a brand new battery. The forum is full of people with similar experiences to you. I am one of them and once I bought and replaced my standard battery with a new one then all my troubles disappeared.

Get a high amperage cranking battery. Do not use a standard Kwik Fit, National, Smiley (tyre fitters) battery but take a visit to your local car parts supplier like Dingbro (they may ask for cash and an account) They are known to assist the public when paying by cash as it can be credited to their account and you get a massive discount.

A new battery can remedy a lot of common Jeep errors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tony, though it's an automatic could it be "stuck" between gears ie perhaps Park and reverse etc.

The Jeep or for that matter any automatic needs a direct command to say it is in a specific gear. If it's stuck between gears then it simply will not start as a safety feature. A wiggle here and a jiggle there of the gear selector can often disengage the stuck gear.

I am no expert but I am sure that others with more experience and technical knowledge will understand what I mean.

Little used, may be the cause of your issues but I cannot be sure.

Then I have an option available to you that may sound really silly and that is to buy and fit a brand new battery. The forum is full of people with similar experiences to you. I am one of them and once I bought and replaced my standard battery with a new one then all my troubles disappeared.

Get a high amperage cranking battery. Do not use a standard Kwik Fit, National, Smiley (tyre fitters) battery but take a visit to your local car parts supplier like Dingbro (they may ask for cash and an account) They are known to assist the public when paying by cash as it can be credited to their account and you get a massive discount.

A new battery can remedy a lot of common Jeep errors.
What a coincidence - I have just today had the battery replaced by the Jeep dealer as part of the car's annual service/MoT check. On the way home, the car worked perfectly. Let's hope it stays that way!

41 - 60 of 74 Posts